Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hood locking options. Please help.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rampage lockable latches here too.
Straight forward installation. Zero problems along 2 yrs.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drake hood latches here, could be very easy to install but I had to deal with the XRC armor and ended up modding them a bit to make them fit. Fully adjustable turnbuckle though depending on how tight you want your hood to be latched down.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

I've heard of the Rampage hood lock issue but didn't run into on my set. I've talked to a few people local to me that installed them as well and didn't have an issue with it. Seems like some variance in either the part or the Jeep parts. I'm considering selling my '08 and getting a '12 or newer (for the motor mostly) and I'm hoping I don't run into that issue with the new rig as I really want to use them again.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoGetEmTurbo
I've heard of the Rampage hood lock issue but didn't run into on my set. I've talked to a few people local to me that installed them as well and didn't have an issue with it. Seems like some variance in either the part or the Jeep parts. I'm considering selling my '08 and getting a '12 or newer (for the motor mostly) and I'm hoping I don't run into that issue with the new rig as I really want to use them again.
I did, had to grind down the top of the studs on the hood to relieve some of the pressure on fit. It was compressing my hood and side fenders before I relieved a little material from each side. Now all good and they have been on for almost 3 yes.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the Tuffy, easy install, works every time and the lock is hidden away. The Mopar is great but double the price, rugged ridge doesn't work and is waste of money, and I didn't like or trust the outer drake style locks (easy to pry off if someone wanted to get in).
Old 07-24-2015, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alp1n3
Drake hood latches here, could be very easy to install but I had to deal with the XRC armor and ended up modding them a bit to make them fit. Fully adjustable turnbuckle though depending on how tight you want your hood to be latched down.
About the Drake hood latches, what are the mounting brackets made from? Are they like a composite material or metal? My factory latches are fading fast and want some latches that lock (not many options).
Old 07-25-2015, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfschor
About the Drake hood latches, what are the mounting brackets made from? Are they like a composite material or metal? My factory latches are fading fast and want some latches that lock (not many options).
they're made from a composite material that's held up really well, I definitely recommend these latches for anyone who isn't using he xrc armor fenders tho. Super easy install and the turnbuckle system is easy to use. If you want pics of anything close up just let me know brother!
Old 07-25-2015, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alp1n3
they're made from a composite material that's held up really well, I definitely recommend these latches for anyone who isn't using he xrc armor fenders tho. Super easy install and the turnbuckle system is easy to use. If you want pics of anything close up just let me know brother!
Pics please! I really like what I read about the Drake latches. I just wish I didn't have to pay extra for the black turnbuckles. All in all, the price still isn't too bad for a hood lock and better latch system....especially for what they're protecting.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really do get what you pay for. Mopar hood lock, expensive, found a seller on Ebay selling for $80. But I have absolutely no complaints with these. I tried another manufacture and ended up having to drill the lock to get my hood open because it rusted shut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150718_122425.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	619294Click image for larger version

Name:	20150718_122434.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	619295
Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I purchased this hood lock from 4wp called BOLT it uses the factory key similar to the oem for half of the price.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior-...FViRfgodb4oK-w

Quick Reply: Hood locking options. Please help.