Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hood locking options. Please help.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood locking options. Please help.

I'm about to order the Mopar Hood lock and wanted to make sure there were no other options out there besides the Tuffy and Rampage locks. Im hoping there is something out there I missed. I just installed the Rampage locks but was very carefull after reading about some people having paint damage. Sure enough, at it's loosest setting I would've had to press the hood (painted metal) into direct contact with the fender (also painted metal) just to attach the latch, this is before even latching it down. Not happenning on my new 2015 Jeep with 900 miles on it. If anyone knows off anything that just bolts on, fits, and works with no damage or re-engineering please let me know. I don't mind buying the Mopar lock but liked the Rampage design and want to go over all my options. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chitownpete
I'm about to order the Mopar Hood lock and wanted to make sure there were no other options out there besides the Tuffy and Rampage locks. Im hoping there is something out there I missed. I just installed the Rampage locks but was very carefull after reading about some people having paint damage. Sure enough, at it's loosest setting I would've had to press the hood (painted metal) into direct contact with the fender (also painted metal) just to attach the latch, this is before even latching it down. Not happenning on my new 2015 Jeep with 900 miles on it. If anyone knows off anything that just bolts on, fits, and works with no damage or re-engineering please let me know. I don't mind buying the Mopar lock but liked the Rampage design and want to go over all my options. Thank you.

I have the MOPAR lock and I love it. Only issue is you need a large rivet gun and it kinda looks like a nose on your Jeep.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I just got a little creative with some aircraft cable, crimps, and lock.

Not as convenient as the Mopar solution, does the trick
Old 06-22-2015, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default WEBELEEPIN Do tell.

Please tell me what you did, I'd love to hear it. I'm new to all this so I need all the help I can get,
Old 06-26-2015, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Factory Mopar hod lock installed. Went on perfectly and quickly with no surprises or re-engineering/modifications required. I love OEM parts, they always seem to work perfect. I'm happy as heck!
Old 06-26-2015, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

I use the Rampage hood locks on mine and I love them. Clean and non-blingy look and extremely functional. They've been on for 5-is years and I had to repaint them recently. Bad powder coat. But they are stainless steel so rust wasn't a problem.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

I'm Jealous GoGetem, I really wanted them to work. It's no big deal as I'm now locked up. I'm just grateful of all the warnings on the Internet of people who had the same issue with being too tight. If I just followed directions instead of double checking everything I might be making an Insurance claim or buying a new hood and fender. I was very bummed out they didn't fit but life goes on. My hood will never look as cool as yours.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rampage here too....love them AFTER the install. Took a little work to make them fit like I wanted. I used some of the rubber from the old latches to make sure there was no contact.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2489.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	616083   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2493.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	795.7 KB
ID:	616084  
Old 06-26-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the rampage latches are very snug. I'm really happy with them. Not a single complaint.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Mopar on my Rubicon, and a Rugged Ridge on my Sport. Never had an issue with the Mopar and love it. I couldn't get the P.O.S. rugged ridge unlocked last night. Drilled the P.O.S. out to get the hood open. What ever you go with make sure it has a cover to keep the elements out or the lock might seize up.

Quick Reply: Hood locking options. Please help.