Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Honest opinion on which Wrangler to purchase

Old 03-08-2016, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
In my opinion, there's no contest. Get the newer engine. Then add mods over time. Your wallet will be much happier when it's time for you to sell. There's nothing (reasonable) you can do to the 2011 that will give you the horsepower that the 2013 has. There's no substitute for horsepower. Oh yeah, you'll also get like 10% better gas mileage with the newer engine.
I traded my 2010 sport for a 2012 sport with the new engine, extremely happy with my decision. If I were to buy again, I would still get the same sport super base model and customize it my way.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick update

Figured I'd give everyone an update. I want to thank everyone for their feedback, it really helped my decision. I ended up getting a good deal on a 2013 Rubicon, so I got the best of both worlds. Spent over 2 months narrowing it down to either the 2013 Sport or a 2011 Rubicon. Got the 2013 Rubi for $2000 more than the 2011. Didn't pick it up yet, in the next few days. It's about 150 miles away. Went and looked at it and now I need to get a lift to go pick it up. Can't wait.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whistler
Figured I'd give everyone an update. I want to thank everyone for their feedback, it really helped my decision. I ended up getting a good deal on a 2013 Rubicon, so I got the best of both worlds. Spent over 2 months narrowing it down to either the 2013 Sport or a 2011 Rubicon. Got the 2013 Rubi for $2000 more than the 2011. Didn't pick it up yet, in the next few days. It's about 150 miles away. Went and looked at it and now I need to get a lift to go pick it up. Can't wait.
I can believe both were around for over 3 months. Congrats and welcome. Just Empty Every Pocket.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

That really is the best of both worlds! Congratulations!
Old 03-12-2016, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cutman
I can believe both were around for over 3 months. Congrats and welcome. Just Empty Every Pocket.
Not always the same ones. Actually missed out on a few Sports that were probably good buys, because I couldn't decide. The first 2011 Rubicon I looked at is still available. That's why I posted the question, I thought the Rubicon would have been sold. So maybe they are asking too for it, but it's listed for just a little more than what the Sports are selling for around here.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good buy!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Just picked up the Wrangler tonight. Long drive home in the dark. Handled exceptional well and surprising quiet inside. I wanted one with a hardtop, but got a good buy on this one with a soft top. I'll see how the summer goes with the soft top and decide later if I'll get the hardtop or not. Can't wait until daylight to go over it. Going to change out all the fluids, even though Dealer said they just did it. Not sure what fluids they have in it and I know what I like to use and what works well. (The advantage of owning your own garage.) Just in time for the weekend to get out and play, with the possibility of snow to play in.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:00 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up the Wrangler tonight. Long drive home in the dark. Handled exceptional well and surprising quiet inside. I wanted one with a hardtop, but got a good buy on this one with a soft top. I'll see how the summer goes with the soft top and decide later if I'll get the hardtop or not. Can't wait until daylight to go over it. Going to change out all the fluids, even though Dealer said they just did it. Not sure what fluids they have in it and I know what I like to use and what works well. (The advantage of owning your own garage.) Just in time for the weekend to get out and play, with the possibility of snow to play in.

I've got dual tops and only keep the hardtop on for like 3-3.5 months out of the year. You get a little extra security if you're transporting goods in the back and it isn't as cold in the mornings if you got kids/others to deal with but come April, it's soft top time until December.

Congrats. 2013 Rubi is a good one from what I remember. No engine head issues like some of the 2012's and none of the issues that the 2014's got.

Quick Reply: Honest opinion on which Wrangler to purchase