Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Homemade Hardtop Hoist

Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Hardtop Hoist

Getting things in order to buy a hardtop soon, and was contemplating storage arrangments too. Came up with this idea. Since my jeep will have a winch sometime soon as well, why not use the winch to help remove the hardtop! I mean the dang jeep is sitting there taking all my money and making me do all the work...the nerve! Anywho, this is the general idea. Its a very crude drawing i apologize

It consists of 2 pulleys for the lifting and probably 4 hooks to hold it up once its lifted. Best part is that one person of any stature can remove and install the top by simply hooking the winch hook to the front and the rear hooks to the top, reeling the winch in thus lifting the top, then hooking a support under the top to lock it in place, disconnecting the winch, and driving away What do you guys think? I may even cut out a spot in the rafters of my garage to make it tuck away into the ceiling!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I usually apply the "keep it simple" rule when it comes to making anything.

A simple $30 block and tackle will suffice and give even a child enough leverage to lift a hard top. The hardest part would be keeping the top level when lifting.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

I used a $13 hand winch from northern tools to lift mine. Its 4-1 and works great!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

idk...this just seems logical to me...almost like it should come with these parts from the factory Obviously you are buying a jeep over say an FJ b/c the top comes off
Old 09-14-2007, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James76
idk...this just seems logical to me...almost like it should come with these parts from the factory Obviously you are buying a jeep over say an FJ b/c the top comes off
I'm buying the Jeep because it the better car.

The top coming off is a bonus. A very BIG bonus
Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

well obviously the fj is a rush job but its the only competition the jk has...gm has no sporty little 4wd convertable that can also climb rocks and steep muddy hills...believe me i tried to convince myself to buy a 4x4 colorado but for the $ the options just werent matching up to the jeep...and it couldnt come close on ruggedness or fun factor
Old 09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

don't you think one of those winches would move a little too fast lifting something that only weighs about 110 lbs? i wouldn't think you could control it to lift that only a few feet. i guess it's worth a try, but not on my hard top!

Quick Reply: Homemade Hardtop Hoist