Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

HiLift Jack vs. Steel bumper

Old 11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HiLift Jack vs. Steel bumper

I have a rear MOPAR steel bumper.
I'd like to jack up the rear corner of the Jeep for a project... Is the steel bumper strong enough to just stick the jack under it anyplace, or do I need to use a specific spot under the bumper?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you are going to have a lot more than the hi-lift holding up your JK if you are going to get under the vehicle, particularly if you need to remove the tires!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

The answer to your question is yes, it is plenty strong enough. Now if you start crawling around under there without jack stands then you have other issues.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

You mean I can't do this???

no no no,
I will absolutely be using wheel chocks and jack stands for safety.
The wheel shouldn't need to come off, just need to lift the frame/body up about an inch or two and I don't think my floor jack is tall enough.
I just didn't want to start jacking up under the bumper and fold or tear up any bumper parts.

Last edited by horwitzs; 11-11-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used the jack on the Mopar rear bumper but I did place it on the frame mount point where the d-Rings hang just for added strength.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

i won't be the first to try but i bet you could lift both wheel on one side by lifting on the body mounted stock rubi rock rails
Old 11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
i won't be the first to try but i bet you could lift both wheel on one side by lifting on the body mounted stock rubi rock rails
I've actually already done that on another occasion... Lifted fine but bent the rail up just a tiny bit in the front. The actual rail is still straight, but I need to pull it off and pound the mounting bracket back to where it should be.
The slant makes it look like the Jeep is sagging in the rear a little, even when the frame is square to the road.

EDIT:
Here's a pic, you can see how it pushed the front of the rail upwards.

Last edited by horwitzs; 11-12-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by horwitzs
I've actually already done that on another occasion... Lifted fine but bent the rail up just a tiny bit in the front.
The slant makes it look like the Jeep is sagging in the rear a little, even when the frame is square to the road.
thats why i didn't want to be the first. nice to know if i were stuck between a rock and a rock
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 PM
JPT
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by horwitzs
You mean I can't do this???

no no no,
I will absolutely be using wheel chocks and jack stands for safety.
The wheel shouldn't need to come off, just need to lift the frame/body up about an inch or two and I don't think my floor jack is tall enough.
I just didn't want to start jacking up under the bumper and fold or tear up any bumper parts.
Whats wrong with getting a little shade? It's cheap and no one would miss them if...

Quick Reply: HiLift Jack vs. Steel bumper