Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Here goes nothing y'all

Old 01-11-2015, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Wrong and wrong , you are not going to trash your wheel no more then anyone else running the same wheel in a 17 with less then a 35" tie and I air down to 10psi every time I go out
Not more but people buy the expensive 20 to look good. I just wanted the OP to consider that those pretty rims would not look so pretty after a few trips. Although with a 20 there would be more damage as there is more rim to damage My 17s are trashed and i run 37s.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Jeep, your money, your decision. Keep in mind your price per tire will be higher for a 35 on a 20 inch wheel... Open Country MTs are a little north of $400 each for your wheel assuming you go mud tire. 17 inch wheels give you more tire options at a better price due to availability. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rims also have plenty of scrapes and gouges from rocks, and I don't even climb in the rocks that often. I have 18" rims with 35s so I don't subscribe to the "your tire should be twice the size of your rim" theory, but I would say that if the OP is planning on rock crawling or even off-roading in rocky places there is a pretty good chance that the rims will take some abuse and get some blemishes.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I disagree with this and a lot other crap that comes out of some of these guys , by them if you want 20s you have to run 40s but they don't say crap about the guys who run 31 to 33s on 17s even through its not right by what they just said

Coming from a guy with 20s if you don't plan on running at least 35s then I wouldn't do it unless you know you wheel never take it off road
Well we'll have to agree to disagree. Good thing you don't have to listen to the "crap" that comes out of our mouths. All I said was I like the 17" I have on my 35s. And I was referring to this part when I said I agreed.

Originally Posted by AnvilX14
But if you are looking possible issues, one thing I could think of is the less sidewall you have on your tire, the less squat it gets if you air down when you are off road. If your not going offroad I can't think of an issue, other than tires are more expensive for 20s.
Like I said in the first response, it's your jeep so do what you want. As you can see, some people tend to get rather passionate about their choices.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I disagree with this and a lot other crap that comes out of some of these guys , by them if you want 20s you have to run 40s but they don't say crap about the guys who run 31 to 33s on 17s ...
I will say something about that. I've always run 16s. I ran 33s for a few years, then 35s. Damage to the rims almost disappeared once I started running 35s.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I will say something about that. I've always run 16s. I ran 33s for a few years, then 35s. Damage to the rims almost disappeared once I started running 35s.
And 16s on 35s is a really good setup , but like you said you still tore your wheel up and you had smaller tires

So what I am saying you will do it either way and its up to you and your money on how you feel about it
Old 01-11-2015, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Since you asked for opinions, 20's = J Money Yo Yo style and should be saved for an Impala, El Camino or other random Chevy product. Might as well put some spinners on it. But do what makes you happy.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SigEp418
Since you asked for opinions, 20's = J Money Yo Yo style and should be saved for an Impala, El Camino or other random Chevy product. Might as well put some spinners on it. But do what makes you happy.
It really bugs when I hear dumb comments like this , there is a difference between (what you call urban with the comments you made) and just a plain set of black wheels that are 20s

Well call me yo yo

Last edited by jaker t5; 01-11-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really bugs when I hear dumb comments like this , there is a difference between (what you call urban with the comments you made) and just a plain set of black wheels that are 20s

Well call me yo yo
Ok yo yo it does kinda look like you have life saver rings as tires on your jeep lol .... If you want want to get technical bigger rim ='s more chance/surface to damage.... Common sense... More sidewall on your tire(smaller rims) when airing down gives you more bulge... More protection to wheel..... Hey not knocking your 20" rims just not for me either for the offroading I do. Not that I haven't seen a good looking jeep on 20's I have.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Arrow

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Ok yo yo it does kinda look like you have life saver rings as tires on your jeep lol .... If you want want to get technical bigger rim ='s more chance/surface to damage.... Common sense... More sidewall on your tire(smaller rims) when airing down gives you more bulge... More protection to wheel..... Hey not knocking your 20" rims just not for me either for the offroading I do. Not that I haven't seen a good looking jeep on 20's I have.
Everybody understand that but what is getting missed is it you are going to play on rocks you are going to mess up any wheel , unless you are running a way bigger tire then usual

I understand my wheel will get trashed but it doesn't bother me because they are what I wanted , it you buy wheels and hope they don't get trashed then you are not going to wheel it

Quick Reply: Here goes nothing y'all