Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Here goes nothing y'all

Old 01-10-2015, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here goes nothing y'all

Well y'all I'm looking for negative and positive feedback on my next mod..... Today I got a Rubicon express 2.5 lift put on. And for my tire size I have decided on some 20 inch fuel rims with Toyo tires. lets hear it...??
Old 01-10-2015, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TXLineguy
Well y'all I'm looking for negative and positive feedback on my next mod..... Today I got a Rubicon express 2.5 lift put on. And for my tire size I have decided on some 20 inch fuel rims with Toyo tires. lets hear it...??
If you like it, that's all that matters
Old 01-10-2015, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

What size tires since you want to run 20s , then I will give some feedback
Old 01-10-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Some people will say your tire should be at least twice the size of your rim, so 20" rim = 40" tire at least. That's not likely what you had in mind. But, as the first guy on this thread replied, do what makes you happy. It's your Jeep, no one else's. But if you are looking possible issues, one thing I could think of is the less sidewall you have on your tire, the less squat it gets if you air down when you are off road. If your not going offroad I can't think of an issue, other than tires are more expensive for 20s.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It's your choice, but first decide what look you're after ...

This ...

Off-roader. "I checked another destination off my bucket list today!"

or this ...

Not off-roader. "I need some excitement. Let's go to Starbucks and grab another Latte Grande!"

Honestly, it makes not a bit of difference how you use that Jeep, you'll be pegged for what it looks like by every Jeeper who knows a thing about going off-road. If you don't care about that, then build that beast with those twenties!

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-10-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

lets hear it...??
Let's see it! What matters most is what YOU want/like. It's your build.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AnvilX14
Some people will say your tire should be at least twice the size of your rim, so 20" rim = 40" tire at least. That's not likely what you had in mind. But, as the first guy on this thread replied, do what makes you happy. It's your Jeep, no one else's. But if you are looking possible issues, one thing I could think of is the less sidewall you have on your tire, the less squat it gets if you air down when you are off road. If your not going offroad I can't think of an issue, other than tires are more expensive for 20s.
I agree with this. I assumed you wouldn't do any off-roading. My mistake, I didn't consider you might be looking for advice. I like the 17" wheels for my 35's.

If it's going to stay on pavement (which I doubt any texan would), do whatever looks best to you.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK505
I agree with this. I assumed you wouldn't do any off-roading. My mistake, I didn't consider you might be looking for advice. I like the 17" wheels for my 35's.

If it's going to stay on pavement (which I doubt any texan would), do whatever looks best to you.
I disagree with this and a lot other crap that comes out of some of these guys , by them if you want 20s you have to run 40s but they don't say crap about the guys who run 31 to 33s on 17s even through its not right by what they just said

Coming from a guy with 20s if you don't plan on running at least 35s then I wouldn't do it unless you know you wheel never take it off road
Old 01-11-2015, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you already get the rims and tires? Like the others have said, taking a 20 off road and airing down to 12psi might be an issue. Another thing to think about is that rims get scratched off road...alot. So putting 20s looks great when you pick it up, but they end up trashed after a few off road trips. But, if your "off road" trips consist if dirt roads, and you like the 20s, you should be fine.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Just_Q
Did you already get the rims and tires? Like the others have said, taking a 20 off road and airing down to 12psi might be an issue. Another thing to think about is that rims get scratched off road...alot. So putting 20s looks great when you pick it up, but they end up trashed after a few off road trips. But, if your "off road" trips consist if dirt roads, and you like the 20s, you should be fine.
Wrong and wrong , you are not going to trash your wheel no more then anyone else running the same wheel in a 17 with less then a 35" tie and I air down to 10psi every time I go out

Quick Reply: Here goes nothing y'all