Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help w Overseas Transport

Old 02-27-2020, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You need to inquire with a vehicle import service, not just a transportation service. Unless you have very deep pockets this will probably be a cost prohibitive project for you. The vehicle has to meet US specs for emissions and safety for the model year, and since there is no diesel JK for 2008 that is US spec'd, you wont be able to import it. They would have to change the diesel for a 3.8 gas, and as Monkey stated, all the glass has to be changed, lights, bumpers, tires, airbags. I'm sure there's a bit more, but you really need to get a quote from a few importer companies.
The following users liked this post:
ballistik_monkey (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost JK
You need to inquire with a vehicle import service, not just a transportation service. Unless you have very deep pockets this will probably be a cost prohibitive project for you. The vehicle has to meet US specs for emissions and safety for the model year, and since there is no diesel JK for 2008 that is US spec'd, you wont be able to import it. They would have to change the diesel for a 3.8 gas, and as Monkey stated, all the glass has to be changed, lights, bumpers, tires, airbags. I'm sure there's a bit more, but you really need to get a quote from a few importer companies.
thanks Ghost. i had forgotten that the engine itself would need to be changed since they dont even have the specs needed by the EPA to meet requirements.

Quick Reply: Help w Overseas Transport