Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help w Overseas Transport

Old 02-25-2020, 12:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w Overseas Transport

Hello All!
Planning on coming back to States ( in Italy now) soon and want to bring my 2008 Diesel JK. Has anyone done this? Know of transport companies?
i read up on the rules and am concerned because i am not sure that diesel meets EPA requirements. Anyone know anything about this process?
thanks,
Mela
Old 02-25-2020, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i can tell you: NOT worth it.
the golden year is 25. anything past that, doesnt need to meet requirements for DOT or EPA, etc...

to get your vehicle back to the US (being less than 25 years old) will be a HUGE pain. you will have to change SO SO SO much and then have it all inspected, etc. on top of customs fees, etc....it is a NIGHTMARE.
your windshield doesnt meet reqs, headlights/tail lights, etc etc etc.

it is WAY more complicated that just slapping it on a boat and waiting 5 months.

Last edited by ballistik_monkey; 02-25-2020 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 02-25-2020, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

adding a little bit more info for people for the future:
the BEST scenario is:
Numbers matching, 25 years or older vehicle.

Here is an important note: if you cant get numbers matching, then the engine has to be the EXACT SAME KIND as was designated for that year. meaning: dont get a 25 year old defender and put some brand new high tech engine in there...you will run into issues.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:46 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

Hi!
i downloaded and read everything you mentioned! I have already sent a pic of the original sticker to an email at the EPA. Believe it or not while emissions is a joke here, any type of mod is a pain in the a$$. My Jeep is lifted, I use 2 diff size tires and changed the front bumper and wheel fairing. ALL of which required me to bring it to their equivalent of DMV for inspection, which they then listed on my libretto (title). So thankfully everything is on the up n up!
My Jeep is the ONLY thing I actually enjoyed while here, and am a somewhat sentimental geek, so I really would like to bring it back! I also live in the mountains and while the money I make selling it here, I can replace it there, the Jeep w the top off and music thumping smoking is the only thing that kept me sane here! So yes I am willing to spend a bit to keep that w me, after reading the EPA and CBP guides, it truly didn’t seem that complicated.
I need US equivalent guides which I emailed Jeep and am waiting for answers. I took pic of engine sticker and original VINs and sent them for evaluation. I didnt know about windshield, but when I was interested in getting a lightbar for the windshield last time I was in the US, I had the same ? Regarding size, and was told they are the same, so IDK! Time to get out measuring tape!
I appreciate all the answers! Please keep them coming so I can measure, check ect! Thanks
Mela
Old 02-26-2020, 01:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default P.S.

What info exactly are you asking? I was interested if anyone had actually shipped here in the forum. I don’t try to ask stupid questions, I have been reading the guides, calling insurance companies ect, so I know it isn’t simply sticking it on a boat, after all if it was that simple, ai wouldn’t have asked for help. After reading the guides, I felt it was more of a proper paperwork kind of thing, and I have no problem doing paperwork. I was simply curious if anyone had personally shipped and what if any snafus did they have. What company they used ect!
I have all the rules and regulations, just wanted personal experience if possible. So while I may not be a motorhead, I try bot to ask stupid questions to waste anyones time. Thanks for taking the time to answer though! And if you have any specific questions i will try to answer! I posted a thread prior to this one but dont know where it went, will wait a bit to see if it sgows back up! Mela

Last edited by Mela813; 02-26-2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

Hi Monkey! Thanks for answering!
My 2008 is well a 2008! No magic 25 here although back in NY i have a 1998 Cherokee which is tank, but anyway!
While emissions her in Italy are joke and type of modifications are not! My DJ (jeep) is lifted, I use 2 different tire sizes, I changed the front bumper and wheel fairings. For each mod I had to bring it to their equivalent of DMV for inspection. Each item, stock, mod and size we added to my libretto (title). They are pretty weird about mods here, so eveything is on the up and up, and recorded!
I downloaded everything EPA, DOT, CBP and it seems more like paperwork than anything else (other than cost). Paperwork I think i can handle! I have already emailed engine sticker, VIN and libretto trying to get some answers between Jeep n EPA.
So i wasnt trying not to give u specifics or ask a stupid question, I came to the forum hoping someone else had shipped before! Thanks for your answer!
please keep em coming! Mela
Old 02-26-2020, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

This probably isn't as applicable to you but I've got a friend who has shipped his jeep from Bahrain to the States, over to Japan, back to the States and now he's looking to send it back to Japan. Interior of the vehicle has to be empty and it is supposed to be pretty clean so that you're not transporting foreign soil and potentially other diseases back and forth. He shipped it through the military though so the requirements and process may be a little different.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
This probably isn't as applicable to you but I've got a friend who has shipped his jeep from Bahrain to the States, over to Japan, back to the States and now he's looking to send it back to Japan. Interior of the vehicle has to be empty and it is supposed to be pretty clean so that you're not transporting foreign soil and potentially other diseases back and forth. He shipped it through the military though so the requirements and process may be a little different.

Hi Karl!
yes the cleaning is the same! I have show proof of steam washing under carriage and exterior. I did however ask if my extra tops and tires could be transported within for the trip. I was told they would have to be clean and that they weren’t responsible for theft so best to get extra trip insurance.
Having been in the Army, Military transport is different and way easier to deal with! A few friends and family have shipped vehicles while in. Unfortunately not an option anymore. Thanks, Mela
Old 02-26-2020, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
yes...military and diplomatic overseas are different.
also, he most likely bought the Jeep from AFEES which makes is a US SPEC JEEP... again, there is a HUGE difference.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mela813
What info exactly are you asking? I was interested if anyone had actually shipped here in the forum. I don’t try to ask stupid questions, I have been reading the guides, calling insurance companies ect, so I know it isn’t simply sticking it on a boat, after all if it was that simple, ai wouldn’t have asked for help. After reading the guides, I felt it was more of a proper paperwork kind of thing, and I have no problem doing paperwork. I was simply curious if anyone had personally shipped and what if any snafus did they have. What company they used ect!
I have all the rules and regulations, just wanted personal experience if possible. So while I may not be a motorhead, I try bot to ask stupid questions to waste anyones time. Thanks for taking the time to answer though! And if you have any specific questions i will try to answer! I posted a thread prior to this one but dont know where it went, will wait a bit to see if it sgows back up! Mela
i never said you were asking stupid questions...i have experience in it and am trying to tell you: it wont happen easily, quickly, or maybe even at all.
There are MANY people here who have wanted a diesel jk since...well...jk came out. you dont see ANY on the roads out in the US...there is a reason.
like i said: just to START: you will have to have every window of your JK changed out...they all need to have the DOT stamp embedded in them.
you will need to change your headlights...
do your airbags have the same standard as DOT? if not, you will have to change those out as well. what about the bumpers?
taillights?
lifts, tires, aftermarket parts will just further complicate things.

i am not being an ass here...i am trying to tell you that there are a thousand different things that have to be changed in order for your Jeep to meet US specifications. i dont have the full and complete list, but again...there is a REASON people have not imported the diesel engine jeeps.

i cant stress enough my friend...it is MORE THAN JUST PAPERWORK. with every single aspect of your jeep needing to be inspected, brought to DOT and EPA standards...every single modification most likely brought back to factory first or inspected to ensure DOT regs...it may not be worth it to you....honestly, it may take over a year before you actually even SEE your jeep my friend.
Unless you are coming to the states under diplomatic status...then that is a whole new ballgame.

Quick Reply: Help w Overseas Transport