Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help! Trying to find a "mod Friendly dealer"

Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Trying to find a "mod Friendly dealer"

Does anyone know a somewhat mod friendly dealer in Los Angeles, Or san Diego.
I went to don-a-vee jeep yesterday and they seem to be pretty cool if you keep it at 3'' or less.

If i get the 4'' mopar lift (i know its expensive yada yada yada) when i order my 12 jk. and have them install it before i take possesion of the car, is the full warranty still honored? including driveshafts, u joints, and all the other good stuff
Old 03-25-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure why everyone seems to be afraid of voiding a warranty on their Jeep. If you havent in the past read this in full...not just the wikipedia version...you should do so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

You will find in it that under Federal Law. Yes federal law. The manufacturer of a product has to warranty that product under the exact terms of the warranty. If they exclude you in writing on the face of the exact warranty they must exactly describe and exempt you from doing something specific to your Item.

Example they must not just say. You cant lift your Jeep. They must say you cant use a Teraflex 2.5inch mid arm lift, You cant use a OME 2 inch leveling lift part number 33432, etc.

The alternative is for the company that issues the warranty to do exhaustive tests of the exact modifications you made then determine that those modifications prematurely affected the perfomance of those orginal parts. This basically means they would have to recreate your exact Jeep then test it with an independant lab.

You can download a copy of the full thing online if you dig around. Start quoting it to a dealer and they will back down right away. I race motorcycles and every bike I own is highly modified and every one of them is under warranty.

On a side note of mention. One thing they try to loop hole you with to make warranties at the descretion of the dealer to get around this law is to toss very strict requirements for something stupid like oil changes. They typically will say something like you must have your oil changed by a "certified" dealer/mechanic whatever every xyz miles or so many months whatever comes first. This gives them a way to void your whole warranty if they choose to and only do things "they" feel they should cover if you dont follow the rules. The best thing you can do is make 100 percent sure you get a full copy of your warranty and read it cover to cover then keep it locked away someplace safe. Be sure to follow all of the rules very closely they outline even if that means going to the stealership every 3000 miles for an oil change. If you follow those rules everything else is covered and protected by Federal Law.

I typically negotiate those dealer oil changes and whatever else is necessary to stay "under warranty" when I purchase. This way it is now under contract with the dealer to keep me under warranty as well.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

I dont understand why dealers have to be such A$$'s about all of this. I have a ford now with a leveling kit, some huge oversized tires, and full on stereo system and ive never had a problem. I even asked my service rep if i were to get a f250 what would void my warranty. he said anything over a 6'' lift it would affect the pinion from the trans and it would be unrepairable, but not void the warranty...if ford is so "chill" with it.....why are jeep service reps such bitter people. jealousy perhaps?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

My dealerships (I've gone to 3 and all agree) say if it's factory, than no problem (regardless of who installs). If not factory than warranty can only be voided if an issue occurs due to that non-factory part, all issues as a result are not covered. So if you can, stay mopar (for lifts I wonder if their biggest/stiffest shocks/springs from ram applies...), otherwise make sure it can't do too much damage (they don't make quick sway bar disconnects so I'm going this route non-factory).

Good luck
Old 03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dognights
Im not sure why everyone seems to be afraid of voiding a warranty on their Jeep. If you havent in the past read this in full...not just the wikipedia version...you should do so.

You will find in it that under Federal Law. Yes federal law. The manufacturer of a product has to warranty that product under the exact terms of the warranty. If they exclude you in writing on the face of the exact warranty they must exactly describe and exempt you from doing something specific to your Item.

Example they must not just say. You cant lift your Jeep. They must say you cant use a Teraflex 2.5inch mid arm lift, You cant use a OME 2 inch leveling lift part number 33432, etc.

The alternative is for the company that issues the warranty to do exhaustive tests of the exact modifications you made then determine that those modifications prematurely affected the perfomance of those orginal parts. This basically means they would have to recreate your exact Jeep then test it with an independant lab.

You can download a copy of the full thing online if you dig around. Start quoting it to a dealer and they will back down right away. I race motorcycles and every bike I own is highly modified and every one of them is under warranty.

On a side note of mention. One thing they try to loop hole you with to make warranties at the descretion of the dealer to get around this law is to toss very strict requirements for something stupid like oil changes. They typically will say something like you must have your oil changed by a "certified" dealer/mechanic whatever every xyz miles or so many months whatever comes first. This gives them a way to void your whole warranty if they choose to and only do things "they" feel they should cover if you dont follow the rules. The best thing you can do is make 100 percent sure you get a full copy of your warranty and read it cover to cover then keep it locked away someplace safe. Be sure to follow all of the rules very closely they outline even if that means going to the stealership every 3000 miles for an oil change. If you follow those rules everything else is covered and protected by Federal Law.

I typically negotiate those dealer oil changes and whatever else is necessary to stay "under warranty" when I purchase. This way it is now under contract with the dealer to keep me under warranty as well.

Good luck and enjoy.
Beautifully put!!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Red face

Originally Posted by LakerFanSince86
I dont understand why dealers have to be such A$$'s about all of this. I have a ford now with a leveling kit, some huge oversized tires, and full on stereo system and ive never had a problem. I even asked my service rep if i were to get a f250 what would void my warranty. he said anything over a 6'' lift it would affect the pinion from the trans and it would be unrepairable, but not void the warranty...if ford is so "chill" with it.....why are jeep service reps such bitter people. jealousy perhaps?
Audits can be a mother. Once you've gone thru an audit as a dealer & had to pay back hundreds of thousands of dollars due to a lack of documentation.....you would probably be gun-shy too..........
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dognights

Good luck and enjoy.
Actually you're putting out a bit of misleading information.
The act you speak of has nothing to do with MODIFYING a vehicle but rather, as you have stated, the same spec'd parts that are not OEM. And also full and implied warranty's.
For example a dealership which you bought your JK from cannot tell you you must use only Mopar oil filters or your engine warranty is void. You can use any oil filter that meets or exceeds the oem requirement.
They can however void certin parts of the warranty if you MODIFY your vehicle. For example you install a 4" lift, using the same wheels and tires, they cannot void your engine warranty, if it somehow siezes, because it would be very hard to prove the lift caused the damage to the engine, but if you loose the bearings in your diff, and they can most likely prove that by installing the lift, the geometery of the drive shaft going into the diff had changed and is now out of factory specification, therefor that part of the warranty is void. And if you install 40" tires with that lift and not re-gear, then burn up your transmission, they could most likely prove the added weight and diameter of the tire added stress to the drive train thereby ruining your transmission, it most likely would no longer be covered.
The act you cite is a very good thing for the consummer, however it is not a cover all like quite a few believe it to be.
As for the OP full warranty being honored, I would make sure it is in writing that the warranty will remain in effect with the dealership parts installed.

Last edited by Lorrel; 03-26-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Help! Trying to find a "mod Friendly dealer"