Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help tracking down noise

Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my videos. The one that is bent and squeling is my aftermarket shaft, which was suposedly within spec unless it was my error using the dial indicator to check run out. I then reinstalled my stock axle and bam the problem is disapeared!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OVP2Is9xG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQMxbGEFfjA
Old 08-28-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ARM2004
Here are my videos. The one that is bent and squeling is my aftermarket shaft, which was suposedly within spec unless it was my error using the dial indicator to check run out. I then reinstalled my stock axle and bam the problem is disapeared!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OVP2Is9xG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQMxbGEFfjA
Looks like my rear axel shaft is bent although how I dont know. The noise did start after a day wheeling but I dont remember anything happening that would bend a shaft. Any idea how much a factory shaft costs ? Looked for a writeup but only found something for the front axel. Whats happening in that video is exactly what my jeep is doing.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad you figured it out! I saw stock JK rear axles (both) for around $400.00 on ebay motors. I'm sure there's a better deal out there! & I would probobly upgrade if you bent the stock ones without even knowing it! Just my 2 cents....
Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Call David at Northridge! i think i got (2) new superior shafts with new bearings, retainer, retainer clip already on the shafts for $500 to $600, and they have a lifetime warranty. The way David sends the shafts out really makes it easy as you dont need to take your axles to a shop to have stuff pressed on and off. It makes it a one hour job to swap (1) shaft in your driveway with hand tools. To boot you can keep your old shafts for a spare and it will be ready for install if needed on the trail cause it still has all the stock bearigs, retainer, ect on it!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Mine did the exact same thing. While Braking....the noise went away. When I took the wheel off and turned the rotar the scraping always happened near the same spot of the rotation.

I get it!!

A BENT FLANGE WILL CAUSE THE ROTOR TO NOT SPIN TRUE!!
????????
How much is a new flange and should i replace both at the same time!!
:c lap:

Last edited by betjeep09; 09-22-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Junkie

If it's the flange you need a new axle shaft. It all one unit. You can replace the one side with another stock shaft but it's a good opportunity to upgrade both with chromolly shafts
Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

those cost how much? how hard are they to replace?

Last edited by betjeep09; 09-22-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Junkie

Have you narrowed it down and eliminated the bent rotor ? You should be able to get both chromolly axle shafts for the price of one from the dealer. If it is the shafts I would give Northridge a call and they can explain the price and whats involved with the install.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

This might help. A previous post in this thread.

Call David at Northridge! i think i got (2) new superior shafts with new bearings, retainer, retainer clip already on the shafts for $500 to $600, and they have a lifetime warranty. The way David sends the shafts out really makes it easy as you dont need to take your axles to a shop to have stuff pressed on and off. It makes it a one hour job to swap (1) shaft in your driveway with hand tools. To boot you can keep your old shafts for a spare and it will be ready for install if needed on the trail cause it still has all the stock bearigs, retainer, ect on it!

Quick Reply: Help tracking down noise