Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help With PA Inspection Code

Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim07x
Hatfield is a northern suburb of Philadelphia (about 10 miles up the N/E extension)

This "FITTED" as it relates to the removability of the doors is probably going to be the root of the decision.

I may be wrong, however I read this code to mean, if the vehicle came from the factory with doors, then it must have those doors, or something that provides at least the same or better safety/security in order for it to pass Pa inspection.

Once a vehicle has passed inspection and a sticker is provided, it then becomes the responsibility of the owner to maintain that vehicle in the same condition as it was when inspected, to the best of his ability.

I know quite a few Lancaster City police officers, and yes they are authorized to make a stop not only for moving violations, but vehicle equipment violations also. Most of the officers I know, would not stop a Jeep just because it has no doors. But would stop the vehicle if they believe it to be unsafe either for the driver and passengers or for any other people it may come in contact with.

Sorry to hear your delima, and I must agree that the law is lacking in certin areas, since it is such a generic law. I would believe that doors on most cars provide safety to the overall integrety of the car, and without the doors, safety of the car would be diminished, however I don't know that a Jeep requires the doors for overall integrety like a car. I have a few friends that have pre 50 era Jeeps, and none of them have doors, or roll bars, yet by the law, they are legal to drive on public roads.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
I wonder if when you took delivery of the Jeep new from the dealer, if you asked them to assist you in taking them off for the first time so you could drive home doorless, then took a picture of the dealer handing you the keys with a paper plate in plain view, if you could claim you bought the Jeep w/o doors installed!

Who's to say that the Jeep came from the factory with the doors on the hinges or loaded in the back of the Jeep?

In addition to that, I wonder if you special order one if you could put in a request for the Jeep to be delivered to you with the doors loaded loose in the back. That'd definitely put an end to it...
I doubt your theory would hold water in a courtroom if it ever got to that, and I doubt even more the factory would ship a JK out without the doors being mounted properly. Big liability there.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you have to deal with BS like this in your state. At least you can sleep well at night knowing that the police in your area have so effectively eliminated crime that all they have to do is bother people about stupid stuff like this.

Thank God I live in a no-inspection and no-front-plate state.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Sorry you have to deal with BS like this in your state. At least you can sleep well at night knowing that the police in your area have so effectively eliminated crime that all they have to do is bother people about stupid stuff like this.

Thank God I live in a no-inspection and no-front-plate state.
Come-on here going off topic like this is not needed, and certinally not with the sarcasim posted.
The Pa. statutes are written and carried on the books. I can't speak for the entire state, but in my area I'm glad our police officers enforce the law, rather than look the other way. If a police officer knows the vehicle code, to the point of inspection violations, I think it's a testiment of his ability to do his job correctly. His is not to interpret the law, but rather to enforce it, and the police here IMO do a good job, not only in vehicle enforcement, but also other crimes they encounter as well.
There are other avenues used to repeal codes that we the people feel are either outdated or inipropiate. Arguing with an officer about the letter of the law is not the way to go about it, and bithcing when you recieve a citation for breaking a law is not the way either.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Just wanted to update everyone on the status of this.

I plead not guilty and have a court appearance for July 15th.

More to come...
Old 07-01-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, good luck to you.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,
I like your 2nd comment concerning modifying the vehicle. I think that might have some value since it is specifically listed.

I'm still looking to sse if an officer can issue a citation for an inspection violation. The inspection sticker shows that you have met the annual "enhanced safety inspection" and having officers pull you over for an inspection violation negates the purpose of an official, annual inspection system with vehicle labeling.

I'll keep reading.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Not guilty

Well I never actually got in front of the judge.

Met with the a Lieutenant from Hatfield Twp P.D. to see if we could come to an accord to avoid going in front of the judge.

I showed him a copy of the code I was cited for, the owner's manual where it describes removing the doors and a picture of the sticker on the soft top.

He said he personally felt it was a violation, but that the officer was a little zelous in writing the ticket and with that he voided the ticket!

I told him I'd be o.k with that so long as I wasn't going to pulled over again, otherwise I'd just as soon go in front of the judge and settle this once and for all. He assured me I wouldn't be getting pulled over by them for that again.

All in all a very positive experience!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jim07x
Well I never actually got in front of the judge.

Met with the a Lieutenant from Hatfield Twp P.D. to see if we could come to an accord to avoid going in front of the judge.

I showed him a copy of the code I was cited for, the owner's manual where it describes removing the doors and a picture of the sticker on the soft top.

He said he personally felt it was a violation, but that the officer was a little zelous in writing the ticket and with that he voided the ticket!

I told him I'd be o.k with that so long as I wasn't going to pulled over again, otherwise I'd just as soon go in front of the judge and settle this once and for all. He assured me I wouldn't be getting pulled over by them for that again.

All in all a very positive experience!
Hey Jim thats great to hear
Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Glad to hear things turned out okay.
Like I said here in Lancaster, I've never heard of anyone getting a citation for no doors, although I know a few that were turned down during inspection when they took thier jeep in with no doors.

Quick Reply: Help With PA Inspection Code