Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help: OEM Replacement Soft Top Hardware Doesn’t Fit???

Old 10-17-2020, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: OEM Replacement Soft Top Hardware Doesn’t Fit???

First time here, searching for a solution.

We recently bought a 2012 JK (first time Jeep owners), and we are slowly replacing or upgrading parts.

Our soft top was a top priority. Sun bleached black, difficult zippers, scratched windows etc.

Bought a “used” one locally that is in perfect almost unused condition. The guy bought a hard top shortly after buying his Jeep and the factory soft top has been in storage ever since.

So we bought it and I’m making the switch now. Unfortunately, it looks like the bow brackets are different than what I removed with my top. The new top has a spring assist mechanism at the bracket and the bracket does not fit against the rear diagonal roll bar the way my old one does. I’m confused as to how I’m supposed to mount this thing. My old top’s bracket bolted into the underside of the roll bar, just below the seat belt

I have a JK and the top came off a JK. Shouldn’t it have the same hardware? Am I missing anything? I’m in PA and it’s not really top off weather anymore, I need to get this thing finished today!

I’ll try to attach photos. The pic of the bracket by itself is the bracket I removed from my top, hoping to replace the bracket on the new top, but it doesn’t seem compatible

thanks in advance for any help

Driver’s side

Passenger side (shows opposite side of bracket). I do have a nut removed from the bolt that comes out of spring assembly

Original bracket that mounted under roll bar, below seatbelt
Old 10-17-2020, 02:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

If you're trying to put a spring assist top on when it's not buckled together, you're gonna have one bitch of a time trying to do it as you can see. That is all unsprung and not oriented how it would otherwise be. There are little straps that slide down the poles and latch to that little pointing part where the bolts go. That sounds very confusing I know, but when you see it it makes sense. Check out some vids on YouTube.

You always latch that strap before removing the top or you'll be sorry.

Last edited by resharp001; 10-17-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

thanks, I will try to figure that out. In the YouTube videos I watched earlier, it still leaves me believing that I am missing a bracket that bolts to the underside of the roll bar, then the bow bracket bolts to that.

I put my old top back on because it was getting dark fast, I’ll try messing with it again tomorrow. Frustrating
Old 10-17-2020, 03:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Drew2012
thanks, I will try to figure that out. In the YouTube videos I watched earlier, it still leaves me believing that I am missing a bracket that bolts to the underside of the roll bar, then the bow bracket bolts to that.

I put my old top back on because it was getting dark fast, I’ll try messing with it again tomorrow. Frustrating
Yes, it has a similar bracket. are you saying you did not get that bracket? it is slightly different than your current one. if you did not get that you should contact the seller and try to get the bracket for each side. It may be an honest mistake.....they are probably still on the seller's rollbar adn they don't even know it if they never used the top much.

Sorry, It wasn't clear in the originally post that you were missing hardware.

Last edited by resharp001; 10-17-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Yes, it has a similar bracket. are you saying you did not get that bracket? it is slightly different than your current one. if you did not get that you should contact the seller and try to get the bracket for each side. It may be an honest mistake.....they are probably still on the seller's rollbar adn they don't even know it if they never used the top much.

Sorry, It wasn't clear in the originally post that you were missing hardware.

yup, that’s what I’m missing. I didn’t know I was missing hardware when I originally posted. Thanks for verifying that for me. I will contact him tomorrow. I know it was an honest mistake. Thanks, I’m glad I signed up and posted my question!
Old 10-18-2020, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Well, so far I’m not having any luck getting a response from the seller. So I started looking to order a pair online.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/m...gler-jk-4-door

this appears to be what I’m looking for, but the fitment list only begins at 2013. I’m concerned that the holes in the brackets might not line up with the threaded holes in my 2012 roll bar.

can anyone confirm that a newer JK top will work on a 2012 jk, and are the brackets shown from quadratec the correct ones?

thanks again
Old 10-18-2020, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Those are fine. the spring assist tops may not have started production till '13 which is prob the reason for the listing starting at '13. The rollbar holes didn't change at all. I'm surprised those are only $10
Old 10-18-2020, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Those are fine. the spring assist tops may not have started production till '13 which is prob the reason for the listing starting at '13. The rollbar holes didn't change at all. I'm surprised those are only $10
awesome, thanks. Yeah they seem pretty cheap.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Came back to update.

ordered the brackets and screw/bolts. Got the springs compressed and got the loop over the bracket hook as suggested.

once the brackets arrived, it took 30 minutes to make the change over to the new spring assisted soft top. It took that long only because the zippers on my old top are shot

Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread
Old 11-01-2020, 09:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Glad you got it worked out.

Quick Reply: Help: OEM Replacement Soft Top Hardware Doesn’t Fit???