Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help me shape the future for offroad enthusiasts for the future connected car

Old 07-22-2020, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Red,

Good point. I noticed my truck has over the air software updates. As with computers and phones, one of the challenges of writing software for a platform is that manufacturers don't use the same platform or security protocols. So you end up writing for Android and iPhone and Windows and Mac OS and 'pick your poison'... That's super frustrating.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:54 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

A good example of GM, they came out with the tech 1 years ago, it had a cartridge for different parts of the vehicle, then they updated to just one cartridge, and had a port to hook to a computer for future updates, technology past it up even for the updates they had planned, then came the tech2, with all kinds of updateable potential, memory cards etc, then it didn't last long and they came out with the Candi module that hooked the vehicle direct to a laptop or computer, all were great improvements, but none were updated as they were originally intended to change with the vehicles.
i can definitely see how the programmers and parts manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers but heads on making things work

Quick Reply: Help me shape the future for offroad enthusiasts for the future connected car