Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help Me Choose, Soft Top or Hard Top!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me rephrase that....both shouldn't be on at the same time. I guess it's possible, but not ideal.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both but I would choose the soft top if I could only get one. The heater is great and with the top up (and the M/T's!) it's quieter than some other cars/SUV's I've driven. My biggest concern was having a lot of snow piled on it while I'm away travelling for work. (During that storm last October I went outside twice at night and cleaned off the heavy snow) I store the hardtop in my shed standing on end on a stand I made with some wood I had laying around.

Last edited by greggnj; 05-23-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

No top! But on a serious note, I think you'd be happier with the soft top. Not only can you go topless whenever, I just think it's more versatile and even looks cooler IMO.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live in NY and after much thought I went with the hardtop and I don't have a garage. I like how easy it is to take the freedom panels on and off. Hardtop is more durable, defroster, wiper, and better for northeast winters. My neighbor has a softop and it takes him longer to get his soft top down than it takes for my hard top to come off. His soft top is also a mess from the winters, snow, salt and ice. Either way u will be happy.

Last edited by RubiconJim; 05-23-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy the hard top. If you don't like it in the up coming months sell it and get a soft top. It a lot harder to buy a hard top if you didn't get it factory to expensive. With the money you get from the hard top you can a soft top plus maybe some extra things.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

other than the noise, I love the soft top- having the ability to drop the top in two minutes whenever where ever is awesome. They both have pros and cons, either way will be sweet!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Chicago suburb resident with a soft top and absolutely no complaints. The only reason I wanted a hard top was for the heavy snow and heavy rain. I have no garage and just brushed off the snow immediately before driving anywhere. As far as the rain, well every now and then I get the occasional run down by the windshield on both sides. I really didn't have the option as I bought used but I was very hesitant at first. Love the versatility of the soft top.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would go hard top, you can always get a used soft top for like 300 bucks on here if you want one later hard tops on the other hand are never less than 1000.

Quick Reply: Help Me Choose, Soft Top or Hard Top!