Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help Me Choose, Soft Top or Hard Top!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I initially wanted the dual top group, but got the soft-top only. I love it! I do live in Alabama though. Road noise is not an issue (I can talk on the phone with no problem). It does get really cold every once-in-a-while, but the heater rocks!!! I say go soft top!!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the respones guys! Im still on the fence about which one to get but all your help has made my decision alot easier when the time comes.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had an 08 with a soft top. I really didn't mind it. As far as wind noise goes I always have the radio going. I never had a problem hearing any one with me. It's not bad bit don't get me wrong, you still hear the wind. I never had anyone complain about it being cold in the winter while i had the heat going, go figure! The only thing I don't like about a soft top was the back window. When it was cold and had road salt...it was a bear to get off! My only complaint and that is just if I want to gripe about something.

But that said, on my 2012 I had it ordered with both. But I have the room to store it.

I had no problem with just a soft top.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah cleaning salt from soft tops does suck. But, not having your top available to quickly put back on to drive to work because you didn't watch the weather and the day is a total washout sucks even worse. Whatever you decide, make sure it's available to be on or off in a moments notice. Stored somewhere else is not a practical option if it's your dd in the north east.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by White Fang
I had an 08 with a soft top. I really didn't mind it. As far as wind noise goes I always have the radio going. I never had a problem hearing any one with me. It's not bad bit don't get me wrong, you still hear the wind. I never had anyone complain about it being cold in the winter while i had the heat going, go figure! The only thing I don't like about a soft top was the back window. When it was cold and had road salt...it was a bear to get off! My only complaint and that is just if I want to gripe about something.

But that said, on my 2012 I had it ordered with both. But I have the room to store it.

I had no problem with just a soft top.
So when you order the dual top group is the soft top AND hard top installed? What I mean is, is the soft top on the jeep as if you took the top down just with the hard top on as the main top? Or is the soft top just sitting on the floor of the trunk and can be taken out of the jeep?
Originally Posted by 71Luber
Yeah cleaning salt from soft tops does suck. But, not having your top available to quickly put back on to drive to work because you didn't watch the weather and the day is a total washout sucks even worse. Whatever you decide, make sure it's available to be on or off in a moments notice. Stored somewhere else is not a practical option if it's your dd in the north east.
I wouldnt do that if I didnt have the soft top also. That idea was only an option if I got the dual top group. So when I store the hard top during the summer the soft top will be on, and during the winter the hard top would be on.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in area that gets SNOW. I've always ordered the factory hardtop for the rear wiper, deicer, and not having to worry if a foot or two of heavy, wet snow falls on it overnight. It really makes the Jeep nice and snug when powering through bad winter weather. As mentioned, it's usually the cheapest way to get a hardtop. A nice thing about the 3 piece hardtop is popping the panels if you catch a spell of nice weather before you switch tops for the season. I also get a good aftermarket soft top. I like the Trektop NX with its sunrider feature and the option of the safari bikini configuration. With reasonable care, the aftermarket top should last a pretty long while as it's in storage for the worst weather of the year. In a nicer climate, just the softop would be fine, but my winter wants dictate a hardtop and my nice weather needs require an aftermarket softop. Best of both worlds. Sorry I don't have any specific storage suggestions for you, my hardtop goes under my deck for the summer.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The soft top will be separate. Your ht will be on and st and all hardware in a box. One can not be on in conjunction with the other.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

The other option you could do is look at self storage units that you can rent, but this option does cost a little money but is an option (this way you could have the dual top option). You'd probably only need to get the smallest/cheapest one available, and it would definitely be secure. Could also store other stuff along with it if you have stuff you need a safe place for... ideal for spare parts (and storing your doors!) you wanna hang onto or store in a safe place to sell.

Last edited by cdsuits; 05-23-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joesjeeps
I'm in area that gets SNOW. I've always ordered the factory hardtop for the rear wiper, deicer, and not having to worry if a foot or two of heavy, wet snow falls on it overnight. It really makes the Jeep nice and snug when powering through bad winter weather. As mentioned, it's usually the cheapest way to get a hardtop. A nice thing about the 3 piece hardtop is popping the panels if you catch a spell of nice weather before you switch tops for the season. I also get a good aftermarket soft top. I like the Trektop NX with its sunrider feature and the option of the safari bikini configuration. With reasonable care, the aftermarket top should last a pretty long while as it's in storage for the worst weather of the year. In a nicer climate, just the softop would be fine, but my winter wants dictate a hardtop and my nice weather needs require an aftermarket softop. Best of both worlds. Sorry I don't have any specific storage suggestions for you, my hardtop goes under my deck for the summer.
No thank you, I totally forgot about soft top sag from heavy snow. I think ill get the hard top and eventually get an aftermarket setup like you have. Unless its cheaper to get the dual top group.
Originally Posted by 71Luber
The soft top will be separate. Your ht will be on and st and all hardware in a box. One can not be on in conjunction with the other.
Alright thanks, I ask because I can swear I saw a video of them both on at the same time, just couldnt find it again. How easy is it to install the soft top after taking the hard top off? I couldnt find any videos of it on youtube. Only ones where theyre putting the top back up from its "convertible mode" as I like to call it lol.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

I actually just found the video lol. Its at 3:15 that you see the soft top and the hard top (Dont watch the video, its very boring lol). It looks like the soft top is installed and ready to be put up as soon as you take off the hard top.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffUyhUv23cw

Quick Reply: Help Me Choose, Soft Top or Hard Top!