Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help Me Choose, Soft Top or Hard Top!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Choose, Soft Top or Hard Top!

Alright guys, this is one thing Im really torn about. Im not sure which top I want to get. Hard top is nicer for the winter and stuff but when I want to take it off I wont have anywhere to put it. I have a garage but its to short to hang it from the roof. Also, taking off the hard top everyday would be a serious pain in the butt. The soft top is alot easier to take off and on, on the fly but Im worried about wind noise and keeping the cold out during winter.

The best solution would be to get the hard and soft top package. This way I could have the hard top during winter and the soft for summer. But again, I wont have anywhere to store the hard top during the whole summer. I have the space but I dont think my family will alow me to leave it there all summer long. What do you guys think? Give me some options and experiences with both tops... PLEASE! I can usually come up with an answer on my own but Im at a loss this time lol. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I have to do it over again, I would only get the soft top. Just tough it out during winter and get seat warmers and jackets.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

i had dual tops for my 2006 LJR purchased new. I put the hard top on a couple of times in the first couple of years, all the rest of the time it was stored in the garage with my hoist-a-top. i didn't find the cold to be a problem with the soft top, the jeep soft tops are really tight (but I'm in california). with mud tires it was really noisey on the freeway, hard to enjoy the radio then. i liked being able to take out the windows on the trail to avoid scratching them, still have shade for riders who wanted it. i wasn't interested in tree branch scratches on the hard top. i used the sunrider feature a few times. i still found that i only really put the soft top down occasionally

now i have the freedom hard top only in my 2012 JKU. taking the panels off is fine for the sun, but to have open air on the trail it has to be off and even though i have a hoist it takes time and a little effort. i didn't want to get a dual top and have the hard top just sitting stored in the garage all the time again.

so depends on how you want to use it. i'm thinking a soft top with sunrider would be your best shot.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you REALLY have nowhere to store the hardtop (overhead, on a rack or rolling stand) then go soft top. That said, there's always a place to store the top. I spent about $40 on pulleys and rope and made a lifting/storage system in my garage. My buddy stores his outside all summer long standing on end, covered by a tarp. Since you're in NJ, you know you're gonna be sad in your soft top when it's 10 degrees.

OK you guys from sunny Cali, it gets freakin' cold here in the Northeast.

Last edited by Rule18; 05-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have a soft top and I do love having it. So easy to put down and up. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten caught in the rain and been able to put it back up.

I would love to have a hard top in the winter time though. Riding with friends who have a hard top makes me want one more. It is so much quieter. My jeep doesn't get cold in the winter (of course I am in Alabama), but it would be nice to be able to take a phone call every once in a while.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Is it possible to just place it on the ground? Theres a spot at my work thats on top of a caged off fence. My supervisior has his trucks bed cap on top of it and holds it good. How heavy is the top?

Edit: How loud is it on the highway? I saw a video on youtube but its hard to get an idea. I dont do alot of highway driving but I do plan on it with the Jeep.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you can only have 1, go for the soft top. Cold really isn't an issue here because the heaters in these things crank. I did it for 7 years in a tj and the jk heater is even better. Both is ideal, but if you can only have 1, the soft top is the way to go.

I have both, but have the space to hang my ht all summer. Do some research before you decide. The ht can hang from a hoist in a surprisingly small space. You only need a few inches to park below it.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 71Luber
If you can only have 1, go for the soft top. Cold really isn't an issue here because the heaters in these things crank. I did it for 7 years in a tj and the jk heater is even better. Both is ideal, but if you can only have 1, the soft top is the way to go.

I have both, but have the space to hang my ht all summer. Do some research before you decide. The ht can hang from a hoist in a surprisingly small space. You only need a few inches to park below it.
Nah, I cant even fit the Jeep inside the garage (width and height). Itll be outside. I do have enough space to place it on the ground off to the side but I might not be aloud to store it there all summer.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just go the soft route, so much less hassle. Nothing worse than having a jeep you can't enjoy topless.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I chose the hard top, because I have a hoist in my garage. If I didn't have the garage or the space, I'd go with the soft top. What's the point of a Jeep if the top never comes off? Security would be my concern if I only had the soft top...

Quick Reply: Help Me Choose, Soft Top or Hard Top!