Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$

Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's perfectly understandable that the OP would be upset by this. It represents a genuine failure of communication on the part of all involved. That said, I don't see going to war/court over getting 3.73s instead of 4.10s. It's just not that big of a deal. Hell, the OP might end up liking the 3.73s better, particularly the better gas mileage. I'd chalk this up to "sh!t happens" and move on.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pandaO
So I have been wanting a Jeep ever since I rented one over the weekend early last year. I have been on the Jeep site a million times "building my own". Finally, when I was ready, I posted on a site that I wanted one and waited to be contacted by a dealership. After multiple offers (one as low as $32k instead of $39k), I went with the person who said he would give me a good price even if I just "ordered exactly what I wanted"through him since they couldn't find one matching the requested options.

I called that dealer and made my order over the phone. At first I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted a 3.73 option instead of the 4.10 (that is preselected on the site) and asked the dealer to help me with the decision. He told me that the 3.73 option would make better gas mileage but 4.10 was better for towing (I got a max towing package). I asked how much better was the gas mileage, and he said it would save me a mile per gallon on the highway. So I said I didn't care for the better gas mileage, and since I was planning on towing my whole mecha family out into the desert I wanted the 4.10, "the one that is preselected" (on the site) I said. Two weeks went by, car wasn't even in the queue. I got hurt on the mountain, talked to a buddy of mine about his friends in Overland (might be wrong?) crew using automatics, and decided that since it wasn't even in the build queue yet, I would change the transmission option to automatic.When it finally got delivered nearly two months later, I showed up a the dealership, test drove the lil guy on the street. There was not a single note anywhere that the car had either a 4.10 or a 3.73 rear axle ratio. Being a customer, seeing the site and preselected 4.10 I assumed it was standard and went on to buy the vehicle thinking it was a 4.10.

Well, guess what, the car is a 3.73. Easy fix, right? Just contact the dealer, explain that there was a mistake, and there should be no problem fixing it, right? Not. When I asked the dealer to fix their mistake the first time, they said they would "try", but the parts would not be covered under my extended warranty. Later, I called the warranty service that I got (extended), and the lady there said that the swapped parts would be covered by warranty no problem, as long as the dealer changed the sales code accordingly. The dealer recommended to go through a 'rear-end' shop, not a Jeep dealership, because it would be cheaper. To me that sounds a little sketchy. That sales person is now apparently not even at the dealership. When I called the dealer back to ask them about the warranty and the progress of their "tries", they said that the order was right, and they ordered what I wanted. They have no record of the phone conversation, and the only record they have is the order itself, which is incorrect and does not reflect the conversation over the phone. They are telling me to pay upwards of $4,000 for the swap out of my pocket and lose warranty. Their argument is that 3.73 is a standard selection, and that it does not show up on the window sticker, so I bought what I wanted.

I looked up all nearby dealerships, every single Rubicon on the lots has 4.10 axle ratio.

I don't even know what to do anymore. What should I do? :(
Sorry about your ordeal but I can tell you from being through kind of a similar experience that you aren't going to get your gears unless you cough up the cash and pay for them yourself. Everything between yourself and the dealer is hearsay. Odds are you wont even be able to find an attorney that would want to take this case as they know it is a losing battle. Sure they will take it and your money but in the end they will say "sorry". Also, I would be getting rid of that extended warranty pretty quick if they were telling you they would replace the gears when there isn't even a problem with them other than you don't want them. That sounds completely absurd. A warranty is there to replace things that are broken and not to replace something you don't like or want changed. That reminds me of a a time a customer painted their factory bumper black on their Nissan Maxima and brought it into our dealership and said he didn't like it after doing it and wanted it repainted the original color. I gave him a body shop estimate and he looked at me like I was crazy and got very confrontational that it should be covered under warranty. I thought there is no way this guy can be serious! Warranty does not pay for damage you caused or something you are unhappy with. That's what insurance and out of pocket money is for. I would cough it up and just enjoy the Jeep. With the new motor and automatic you aren't going to see a dramatic difference in a 3:73 to 4:10 anyways.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the OP got kind of screwed, but left herself vulnerable to having that happen with an online purchase. If it were me I would probably kick myself (would not be the first time), then forgetaboutit and move on to the next adventure in life. Guess one has to decide if the gear difference is worth the stress of battle, everyones trigger point is different. I have fought a few battles on principal that others might have walked away from.

Also, I keep seeing images of poor little dead kittens throughout this thread. My eyes must be playing weird tricks on me.

Last edited by Yankee; 02-23-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$