Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$

Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you going on and on about a 200 rpm difference at 70 mph?

You bought the damn Jeep, quit trying to blame someone else for your own lack of research and knowledge about what you were buying.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by relayer4u

You bought the damn Jeep, quit trying to blame someone else for your own lack of research and knowledge about what you were buying.

Really!? Sounds exactly the same as the "help" I am getting from the dealership.

I ordered the 4.10. I paid a nice chunk of change for this, half in cash. How is research and knowledge relevant in this case? I expect to receive what I had ordered.

I test drove at least 4 jeeps at 3 different dealerships from reno to central california. I spent 5 months doing light research (ie, pictures, options) and a month of heavy research reading about tire sizes, gears, new engine's awesomeness over 3.8, whatever else right before buying. I test drove 2007, had a 2010 JK and a 2010 JKU with 3.8L engine for a week each, test drove the 2012 manual and 2012 tiptronic before making my final decision. The information on the site is misleading and the dealer failed to communicate that to me. Doesn't even smell like a lack of research to me. Your unsupportive statement is invalid.

And its not about 200rpm at 70mph. Its about rpm at low speeds offroad with a heavy trailer in tow. Car full of fuel/tires/oil/metal parts + weeks worth of stay-a-human support (food and water) + 3 big dirt bikes + offroad trailer to be exact.

Last edited by pandaO; 02-16-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

If it were me it would be about the customer service (or lack of) more than the 200rpm.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi

I understand your delima, first off they should fix it for you. BUT looks like there is a snowballs chance in hell for that to happen. So if i was you I would just take it to a driveline shop pay 1000-1500 pick the gears you want. Live and learn. There are places in Nevada and So Cal that will do the gears on a rubi for 999. Shop around, enjoy the new jeep.

I had the lifetime warrenty.... not any more
Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
I understand your delima, first off they should fix it for you. BUT looks like there is a snowballs chance in hell for that to happen. So if i was you I would just take it to a driveline shop pay 1000-1500 pick the gears you want. Live and learn. There are places in Nevada and So Cal that will do the gears on a rubi for 999. Shop around, enjoy the new jeep.

I had the lifetime warrenty.... not any more
Wait, how did you lose your warranty?

Rear end shop will be my last resort and I'll probably pick 4.88 or 5.13 in that case... I'm a woman, so I will push until something breaks - which could possibly end up being my own will. I have options for service and since I was REALLY hoping to keep my car as I had ordered it (because damn, thats the way I wanted it, and why can't i have something I want even if I pay for it!!!), I don't think I will run into major inconveniences servicing it in the future even if this particular dealer ends up being really mad at me. No major changes to the car will happen until it is way past warranty expiration time.

I will probably back off if they deny fixing it, and while keeping the actual sales person out of this, write nasty review on Yelp for the dealership, report the incident to Chrysler, and move on. But at this point I'm willing to see how far this goes and that option is not on the horizon yet.

I love my Panda/storm trooper vehicle. Its the craziest, least intelligent decision I had made in my whole life, but I love it. When I hung up the phone after ordering this guy, I pronounced very loudly (while in the office) that I fell out of love with the perfectly engineered responsive European land rocket and fell in love with an Ohioan simpleton, and that is exactly how it is, and I am very happy with it. Except that little snag...

for the awesome avatar and for big bear!

Last edited by pandaO; 02-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by pandaO
Wait, how did you lose your warranty?

Long story, started off with having them cut me off of lockers. (after 5) then after 2 electric sway bars they said i was to modified. So i never looked back. all body armored up new prorock axels. only things left un molested is the engine tranny and t case. i have my 5 year inspection soon i will see what happens.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Noxian
Autos standard gear ratio for a Rubicon is 3.73s
manuals standard gear ratio for a Rubicon is 4.10s

atleast that the way I understood it.
the rubicon comes standard with 4.10 auto or manual at least the 2008 does because i have a auto and i have 4.10 gears
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
Long story, started off with having them cut me off of lockers. (after 5) then after 2 electric sway bars they said i was to modified. So i never looked back. all body armored up new prorock axels. only things left un molested is the engine tranny and t case. i have my 5 year inspection soon i will see what happens.
Painful. Thats probably the main reason I'm trying to get best of both worlds - ability to drive *next to* 80 from Tahoe to Reno and back and have everything covered by warranty. Tough luck.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by foverorubi
the rubicon comes standard with 4.10 auto or manual at least the 2008 does because i have a auto and i have 4.10 gears
I'll call Chry tomorrow and find out for sure. There was a bit of engine/transmission-related changes between '11 and '12, so this could have gotten changed... or not.

I love the Benz transmission, btw... totally eligible for 6sp replacement even though it confused the hell out of me the first week.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by pandaO
Painful. Thats probably the main reason I'm trying to get best of both worlds - ability to drive *next to* 80 from Tahoe to Reno and back and have everything covered by warranty. Tough luck.
I have a place in Copperopois. it will get to a point where your upgrades will start them worring unless you gwt a mod friendly dealer. the only one i found in the bay area was south county jeep in gilroy. a long haul from sf.

all my issues came from a dealer in nevada.

Quick Reply: Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$