Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$

Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$

So I have been wanting a Jeep ever since I rented one over the weekend early last year. I have been on the Jeep site a million times "building my own". Finally, when I was ready, I posted on a site that I wanted one and waited to be contacted by a dealership. After multiple offers (one as low as $32k instead of $39k), I went with the person who said he would give me a good price even if I just "ordered exactly what I wanted"through him since they couldn't find one matching the requested options.

I called that dealer and made my order over the phone. At first I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted a 3.73 option instead of the 4.10 (that is preselected on the site) and asked the dealer to help me with the decision. He told me that the 3.73 option would make better gas mileage but 4.10 was better for towing (I got a max towing package). I asked how much better was the gas mileage, and he said it would save me a mile per gallon on the highway. So I said I didn't care for the better gas mileage, and since I was planning on towing my whole mecha family out into the desert I wanted the 4.10, "the one that is preselected" (on the site) I said. Two weeks went by, car wasn't even in the queue. I got hurt on the mountain, talked to a buddy of mine about his friends in Overland (might be wrong?) crew using automatics, and decided that since it wasn't even in the build queue yet, I would change the transmission option to automatic.When it finally got delivered nearly two months later, I showed up a the dealership, test drove the lil guy on the street. There was not a single note anywhere that the car had either a 4.10 or a 3.73 rear axle ratio. Being a customer, seeing the site and preselected 4.10 I assumed it was standard and went on to buy the vehicle thinking it was a 4.10.

Well, guess what, the car is a 3.73. Easy fix, right? Just contact the dealer, explain that there was a mistake, and there should be no problem fixing it, right? Not. When I asked the dealer to fix their mistake the first time, they said they would "try", but the parts would not be covered under my extended warranty. Later, I called the warranty service that I got (extended), and the lady there said that the swapped parts would be covered by warranty no problem, as long as the dealer changed the sales code accordingly. The dealer recommended to go through a 'rear-end' shop, not a Jeep dealership, because it would be cheaper. To me that sounds a little sketchy. That sales person is now apparently not even at the dealership. When I called the dealer back to ask them about the warranty and the progress of their "tries", they said that the order was right, and they ordered what I wanted. They have no record of the phone conversation, and the only record they have is the order itself, which is incorrect and does not reflect the conversation over the phone. They are telling me to pay upwards of $4,000 for the swap out of my pocket and lose warranty. Their argument is that 3.73 is a standard selection, and that it does not show up on the window sticker, so I bought what I wanted.

I looked up all nearby dealerships, every single Rubicon on the lots has 4.10 axle ratio.

I don't even know what to do anymore. What should I do? :(

Last edited by pandaO; 02-16-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pandaO

I looked up all nearby dealerships, every single Rubicon on the lots has 4.10 axle ratio.

I don't even know what to do anymore. What should I do? :(

Autos standard gear ratio for a Rubicon is 3.73s
manuals standard gear ratio for a Rubicon is 4.10s

atleast that the way I understood it.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What should I do? :(
Never again special order anything as complicated as a vehicle over the phone unless you also sign off on a hard copy of the order before it goes to build.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Noxian
Autos standard gear ratio for a Rubicon is 3.73s
manuals standard gear ratio for a Rubicon is 4.10s

atleast that the way I understood it.
Selecting either automatic or manual doesn't change that selection on the site, so it is not apparent. Even in that case, I was not told that the gear ratio would change with the transmission option change.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Freewill
Never again special order anything as complicated as a vehicle over the phone unless you also sign off on a hard copy of the order before it goes to build.
Or atleast get a e-mail or a fax or something showing what you are ordering before they go through with it.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Freewill
I have a PDF of the order, from the time it was a manual - there is no statement wether or not axle ratio is a 4.10 or a 3.73. I signed off since it was as I ordered it without the small details.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Responded before reading ur post above

Last edited by BLK08JK; 02-16-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Selecting either automatic or manual doesn't change that selection on the site, so it is not apparent. Even in that case, I was not told that the gear ratio would change with the transmission option change.
Well standard is manual transmision which comes with 4.10s according to both Jeep.com and jeep.ca

When you select a Auto on jeep.ca it switches it to 3.73, if you do the same on jeep.com it keep it as 4.10s,
Even if you go to summary after selecting auto it still shows 4.10s at jeep.com

Bug on the US the site?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
Why don't you have a printed copy of your order?

Sounds like you're paying the price for a last minute change without knowing the implications.

If you had the proof on your order I'd be siding with you a lot more...
I have the order, before I changed it and after - it doesn't show axle ratio.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Noxian
Well standard is manual transmision which comes with 4.10s according to both Jeep.com and jeep.ca

When you select a Auto on jeep.ca it switches it to 3.73, if you do the same on jeep.com it keep it as 4.10s,
Even if you go to summary after selecting auto it still shows 4.10s at jeep.com

Bug on the US the site?
Its probably a bug on US site, but why should I be paying for user interface issues on Jeep.com?

Quick Reply: Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$