Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$

Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m998dna
See attached ... the Web site clearly indicates the 3.73s are standard with a 5-speed automatic .... !

This is not what Jeep told the op.

Originally Posted by pandaO
I just spoke with another Jeep representative, she used two internal tools plus the website - took a lot longer with the research than the previous one. She states that the website is correct - 4.10 is the option that is standard on the Rubicon no matter what the transmission selection is. There is an option to select 3.73, but it is NOT a standard option when you switch from manual to automatic and should NOT be selected automatically.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by richtor
This is not what Jeep told the op.
Understood .... my exact point!

"They" ... meaning the whole bunch, Fiat / Chrysler, Jeep Marketing, Commercial Ops, IT... the dealer, all pretty much continue to fuck up. It's called a cluster fuck because they are so disjointed internally and externally, they can't execute on simple things like documenting specifications and how that materializes in a customer order. The Web site isn't consistant, one page to the next...

If Chrysler doesn't know, how in the hell is a customer supposed to figure it out?

If it was mine, I would take all this misinformation straight to small claims court for the max award... the same as that women did to Honda for false advertising.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I would prefer the 4:10s, I would rather keep the 3:73s that were done at the factory versus someone monkeying around with my differentials. It is not a simple swap and there is a large margin for error.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered a JKUR with the auto AND the 4.10s. I went over the order at the dealer with the sales manager 3 times to make sure I had the 4.10s and all the options I wanted. The VOTS site has 4.10s listed. You can bet your a$$ I will go over the build sheet and make sure ALL the options I ordered are on the vehicle BEFORE i give them the check. Anything wrong, NO CHECK! Paid the down payment with a credit card, so all I need to do is dispute the charge and the dealer is on the hook for THEIR mistake. For the most part, car dealers have the reputation of being slimy. Some are good, but the bad apples do spoil the barrell. I also told the dealer I want single digit mileage on the odo, the vehicle showroom clean, and with a full tank of gas. Not what I want, NO CHECK. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thedragon
I also told the dealer I want single digit mileage on the odo, the vehicle showroom clean, and with a full tank of gas. Not what I want, NO CHECK. Good luck!
I dont know about jeep but other manufacturers test drive random cars off of assembly line for quality control. Its not unusual to have a 30-50 mile vehicle before it even hits the rails. When the manufacturer does this there it will be validated with paperwork though!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Although I would prefer the 4:10s, I would rather keep the 3:73s that were done at the factory versus someone monkeying around with my differentials. It is not a simple swap and there is a large margin for error.
+1 .....

There's very few shops I would trust with mine. That's why I would just live with the 3.73s and drop it down a gear..

I remember it wasn't too long ago automatics only had 3 gears and no overdrive...

Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thedragon
I ordered a JKUR with the auto AND the 4.10s. I went over the order at the dealer with the sales manager 3 times to make sure I had the 4.10s and all the options I wanted. The VOTS site has 4.10s listed. You can bet your a$$ I will go over the build sheet and make sure ALL the options I ordered are on the vehicle BEFORE i give them the check. Anything wrong, NO CHECK! Paid the down payment with a credit card, so all I need to do is dispute the charge and the dealer is on the hook for THEIR mistake. For the most part, car dealers have the reputation of being slimy. Some are good, but the bad apples do spoil the barrell. I also told the dealer I want single digit mileage on the odo, the vehicle showroom clean, and with a full tank of gas. Not what I want, NO CHECK. Good luck!
My car had 7 miles on it before I test drove it and was clean. My dealer is good - I checked the window sticker, it was good - why would axles be listed if they are standard, right? The dealer was good until the sales manager refused to assume responsibility for wrong option being selected and accused me of actually ordering a 3.73.

Last edited by pandaO; 02-18-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

I went to the dealer with all the information I had collected. Here is what I had:
  • My order had no mention of 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratio. It was JKU with 6sp and Max Tow package (among other things - car is loaded)
  • After I added automatic transmission option to my order, the updated order had no mention of 3.73 or 4.10. I have both of those in my emails
  • Upon delivery axle ratio was not listed on my window sticker.
  • 4.10 is a standard option on Rubicons based on what the website and two Jeep reps have told me.
  • I was told by my extended service contract rep would cover the new gears if dealer changed the sales code.
  • Jeep rep told me (in a separate conversation) that if the dealer I am talking to can't change the code "then go to another dealer - they are all able to change the code".

At first conversation was civil. Sales manager put me in a hot empty office (previously occupied by the sales person that sold me the car...) and closed the door immediately. I tried to be reasonable and explain where they went wrong and got interrupted when I was making third sentence. Then it went to hell... He brought a 'customer concern' form and started filling it out with fragments like "Ordered over phone + took delivery..." "/ WANTS a 4.10 /". Every single time I said "I ordered a 4.10 and..." he would cut me off with "you ordered a 3.73". Every single statement I tried to make explaining how my sales person could have potentially made the mistake he would cut me off with that statement. He told me that the warranty would not cover it, that I would only get 12/12 warranty... it went on and on for 2 hours. Just walking in circles. I was left in that hot office alone for extended periods of time on multiple occasions. Then he brought his service manager who was speaking at very high level of voice and pretty much just talked over me. He said they couldn't change the code, etc... Then they called "their" business center contact, whom they did not put on the speaker phone through the conversation, but the serv manager kept nodding and making meaningful statements like "oh", "oh, okay, I understand", and once "well no she is paying for it." (I AM NOT, DAMMIT!). When I asked to put him on the speakerphone, they ignored my request, spoke to him a bit longer and then handed me the phone - without answering wether or not they could change the code, he started telling me how changing gears on the car would not be good and that I didn't need 4.10 for what I was doing (but I bought a car with a 4.10?, I asked, he said he "understood", but went onto talking about negative effects and cost of changing my gears). I responded that I needed the 4.10 because that is what I ordered, then we stopped the conversation. I asked for the contact's number but they would not give me his direct number (gave me a name though), because it was "their" contact. They gave me a customer center 800 number instead. Through the end of conversation, the sales manager repeatedly scrunched the paper form that he was filling out, walked in and out of the office... I don't believe I will be getting a call from his "boss, that signs his checks" for whom he was filling out that In general he spoke to me like I was a stupid teen (I'm nearly 30, but I look much younger...).

After all this... I paid for the car that I wanted, but I didn't get what I wanted - and to fix the dealer's mistake is apparently not easy nor good for the vehicle. Since its not good for me to have a 'tinkered-with' vehicle, especially if it is tinkered with by that specific dealer, I'll probably leave it alone as it is or swap if it proves to not work out this summer. Love the car, definitely am pleased with Jeep and Chrysler customer service, but I will not be returning to the dealer I ordered the car from.

Last edited by pandaO; 02-18-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver
First of all, on an Automatic equipped Rubicon, there is no "standard" gear ratio.
You either check box 3.73, or box 4.10. One box must be checked...nothing is the default.
Max Tow Package has nothing to do with the gears either.
It still doesn't make one or the other "standard".
So the dealer is lying to me then? Because the '3.73 is a standard' is exactly what their argument is. Anyway, doesn't matter.

My suggestion, learn for your mistake, accept the brunt of the responsibility, move on, and enjoy the Jeep(not the car, lol).
BTD.
Thank you. And like I said, I would find out this summer wether or not what I have will work for me, and then act/not act on that knowledge. It will probably put some challenges on my next project, but challenges are welcome! Meanwhile I'll work on building a good relationship with the dealership near me, in service and sales.

Last edited by pandaO; 02-18-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

I agree with everything you said below....

The issue is PandaO is so wrapped-up and over-emotional she can't see the forest for the trees. First mistake; she ordered a new vehicle over the phone. Second mistake; she couldn't make up her mind what she wanted before ordering and then changed it mid-stream after the dealer placed the order.

That's a risky proposition and she should have confirmed the configuration in person, in writing...

Another overall issue here... the Canada and U.S. Jeep Web sites are inconsistant. That alone should be enough documentation to get PandaO what she wants... if she would just slow down and be methodical in her approach to this problem.

Despite my findings, post #53... if you go to the "build-it" now feature for both Canada and U.S. Web sites, the gear selection defaults to 4.10s. Need to remember Jeep upgraded their Web site during the LA Auto Show and we're seeing artifacts from the data conversion.

Gotta remember however there was a phone conversation over gearing options... someone screwed up and 3.73 were either ordered initially, or possibly changed mid-stream.

The lessons learned here, never order a new vehicle over the phone.

PandaO,

Let me start by saying, I feel your pain...and I understand you frustration.
Buying a new vehicle shouldn't be difficult like this. It should be an enjoyable event!

Now, with that said, and after reading through this whole thread, you are the main person to blame for the end result of receiving the 3.73 gears.
One more idea after reading my own post...

If you can find ANY piece of Jeep/Chrysler published literature where it clearly shows the 4.10's as being the "standard" gear set for the automatic transmission, you might have a leg to stand on.

Look at it this way...

If you didn't SPECIFY which gear set to be installed in your Jeep, and you have something showing the 4.10's to be the standard gear set for the automatic, then you didn't get the Jeep you ordered.

Did that make sense?

You must PROVE the 4.10's as being the way it comes UNLESS something else is chosen.
Disregard my last post...

I forgot about post #53.

Oh well...it was a thought...

Last edited by m998dna; 02-19-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Gender changes

Quick Reply: Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$