Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$

Old 02-16-2012, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m998dna
Rip ... Panda is correct. I've built a 2012 Rubi several times over the past 4-5 months and the U.S. site did default to 4.10s when you ordered the Max Tow Package. Initially it would load 3.73s when you selected 5-speed auto trans and then would change to 4.10s after selecting the Max Tow option...

I posted about this issue before, the Jeep Web site can't be trusted for ordering.

The issue... he should have received the 4.10s with the Max Tow Package, PERIOD. Typically changing the gear ratio impacts the tow rating on most vehicles. The Jeep specs are all hosed up just like their Web site.

I would fight them all the way to small claims court...

I have Max Tow... I will speak with a Jeep rep tomorrow to see what should have happened. From what you are saying, my dealer would have had to manually reselect 3.73 when I was ordering it even though i wanted the 4.10.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

I just spoke with a Jeep representative and asked which axle ratio the Rubicon came with if it was Automatic - she said 4.10.

Granted that she used the jeep.com site - I guess they do not have any other tools for checking that.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

I just spoke with another Jeep representative, she used two internal tools plus the website - took a lot longer with the research than the previous one. She states that the website is correct - 4.10 is the option that is standard on the Rubicon no matter what the transmission selection is. There is an option to select 3.73, but it is NOT a standard option when you switch from manual to automatic and should NOT be selected automatically. The website behaves properly. Now, what to do with the dealer whose argument that the reason I am wrong is that their system is preselecting 3.73 is beyond me at this moment.

The previous rep also said they would offer no help in resolving the issue with the dealer. This one didn't mention anything and also didn't start yelling at me right away.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Noxian
Autos standard gear ratio for a Rubicon is 3.73s
manuals standard gear ratio for a Rubicon is 4.10s

atleast that the way I understood it.
The standard on the rubicon is 4.10 axle ratio no matter what transmission choice was made. 3.73 is always an optional choice.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pandaO
I just spoke with a Jeep representative and asked which axle ratio the Rubicon came with if it was Automatic - she said 4.10.

Granted that she used the jeep.com site - I guess they do not have any other tools for checking that.
Yes they do have more tools, maybe not a front line CSR. There's an ordering system the fleet manager at the dealer uses when special ordering vehicles or the "fleet" for the lot, customers or businesses.

These systems don't always work the way you think they should when ordering a vehicle... sales groups, defaults and exceptions are difficult to communicate between the customer, salesperson and the "Fleet Manager" on a custom order. That's why I go directly to the fleet manager when ordering a new vehicle and get the build and sales order sheet right direct out of the "system" ... invoice price and all.

I would call a fleet manager at another dealer to get the facts straight...

You may just want to live with the 3.73s and drop it down a gear when towing ... rpms are rpms. The pistons don't know jack shit about what gear ratio the Jeep has. Speed should be dropped to 55 when towing anyway.. Calif law.

Good luck....
Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by m998dna
You may just want to live with the 3.73s and drop it down a gear when towing ... rpms are rpms. The pistons don't know jack shit about what gear ratio the Jeep has. Speed should be dropped to 55 when towing anyway.. Calif law.

Good luck....
If I did, this post wouldn't happen. I don't want to.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

The standard on the rubicon is 4.10 axle ratio no matter what transmission choice was made. 3.73 is always an optional choice.
Nope. Sorry.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tvrbob
Nope. Sorry.
That supports my findings on the Web site "build it" function several months ago... so the question remains, why did it change to 4.10s when the Max Tow option was selected?

The Web site since was updated with no clear understanding what is standard, optional and the defaults under various option packages.

... using the "build it" function.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

The previous rep also said they would offer no help in resolving the issue with the dealer. This one didn't mention anything and also didn't start yelling at me right away.
Wow the Jeep rep started yelling right away?

The dealer made the mistake and should fix it! Since it is an option that you dont show on either of your two order confirmations you can now prove it is the dealers mistake. They need to fix it! If the dealer feels the mistake is with jeep and their order system the dealer still needs to fix your jeep at the dealers cost then go back to jeep for reimbursement.

Bottom line the dealer is responsible since they placed the order! They need to fix your jeep and keep warranty or they can buy it back from you(giving total purchase price back). This second option would cost them far more money than swapping gears!

Also since it is an option the 3.73 gears should be listed on the window sticker. If it is not, there may have been a mistake at the factory?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by richtor
Wow the Jeep rep started yelling right away?

The dealer made the mistake and should fix it! Since it is an option that you dont show on either of your two order confirmations you can now prove it is the dealers mistake. They need to fix it! If the dealer feels the mistake is with jeep and their order system the dealer still needs to fix your jeep at the dealers cost then go back to jeep for reimbursement.

Bottom line the dealer is responsible since they placed the order! They need to fix your jeep and keep warranty or they can buy it back from you(giving total purchase price back). This second option would cost them far more money than swapping gears!

Also since it is an option the 3.73 gears should be listed on the window sticker. If it is not, there may have been a mistake at the factory?

See attached ... the Web site clearly indicates the 3.73s are standard with a 5-speed automatic .... !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep JK.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	279158  

Last edited by m998dna; 02-17-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Help! Dealer ordered wrong option, when I asked them to fix that, they ask for $$$