Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help any idea's?

Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help any idea's?

I bought this 2013 jk it had 17" wheels and 33's. Also had a lift from spacer's 3" front and 2.5" rear. I did away with all that and added a Teraflex 2.5" coil and shocks lift, 15x8 fuel revolvers with 35" ko2's should have went with an MT in hindsight..next time! Added front bumper and winch, rock slider rails with built in step and rear bumper with bumper mounted tire carrier. I removed some vinyl decals and am going to remove the rest. Now I'm eyeballing several different fender flares. This is where I need some helpful advice. Flat fenders? Pocket style flares factory coverage or what?
Well crap I'm posting this but it's useless without pictures!
I don't see where I can add pics to my post what gives?
Old 11-02-2016, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my opinion is very bias. i hate flat fenders so i vote stock or pocket. : )
Old 11-02-2016, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
my opinion is very bias. i hate flat fenders so i vote stock or pocket. : )
I think I'm with you on that. I've been trying to find pictures online of my set up on other 2 door jk's with different types flares. I can't seem to find hardly any of the bushwacker pocket flares that are just factory coverage I keep seeing the oversized ones and mostly on 4 doors so I can't really tell how it would look. And everybody has flat fenders it would seem.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Are you going to wheel that jeep, and if so, how aggressively? Plastic flares don't typically fare well on the trails when the goin' gets rough. It's not a huge deal for factory flares as you can source cheap replacements from people taking them off, but I can tell you first hand it sux to replace Bushwackers. I finally did away with mine. If you don't like flat flares, are going to stick with plastic, and you are going to wheel, then I'd stick with factory and be done. I don't mind the look of the factory flares, but hated grinding on them. I moved to flat bushwackers that I hated just as much, and now I'm fenderless with some Gen Right deletes.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Are you going to wheel that jeep, and if so, how aggressively? Plastic flares don't typically fare well on the trails when the goin' gets rough. It's not a huge deal for factory flares as you can source cheap replacements from people taking them off, but I can tell you first hand it sux to replace Bushwackers. I finally did away with mine. If you don't like flat flares, are going to stick with plastic, and you are going to wheel, then I'd stick with factory and be done. I don't mind the look of the factory flares, but hated grinding on them. I moved to flat bushwackers that I hated just as much, and now I'm fenderless with some Gen Right deletes.
I'm not going to be wheeling much. I don't own or know anyone who own's property to do so. There are some off road parks around that I may do some easy stuff. I don't like spending all this money then turn around and break everything that I just installed. So I will keep the wheeling modest. I guess mostly it will be for looks but in case I get a wild hair to try something I'd like to be able to get through whatever I'm tackling. I've looked at a lot of steel and aluminum flat fenders also like Aries and some off brand ones on Amazon. It appears that most of the steel off road parts that extreme terrain has you can get on Amazon under another name but is exactly the same stuff. I'm thinking flat flares would go better with my bumpers but I kind of don't want to take away from the Classic jeep look which is why I was thinking keep stock or pocket flares.
Would you be able to tell me how to post pictures on this site? I can't seem to figure it out. Does not seem to be a way to do it. I'm using my iPhone.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:47 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Most people go with flat fenders for function.....and likewise with steel or aluminum. If you're just in it for the looks, the decision is a lot more subjective. It is definitely a bit harder to justify spending up to double for metal fenders just for the looks alone. As a person that had bushwackers, I think the Aries would have been a better choice. The bushwackers were so wide.

Every upgrade I've ever done has had an opportunity cost associated with it......as in...if i didn't spend several hundred on this item, what other upgrade would I do instead? If you kinda like the classic look and kept the factory flares, what would you spend that several hundred bucks on instead??

Are you using an app on the iPhone or just the site through a browser? I have an android and it's straight forward on that app.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Most people go with flat fenders for function.....and likewise with steel or aluminum. If you're just in it for the looks, the decision is a lot more subjective. It is definitely a bit harder to justify spending up to double for metal fenders just for the looks alone. As a person that had bushwackers, I think the Aries would have been a better choice. The bushwackers were so wide.

Every upgrade I've ever done has had an opportunity cost associated with it......as in...if i didn't spend several hundred on this item, what other upgrade would I do instead? If you kinda like the classic look and kept the factory flares, what would you spend that several hundred bucks on instead??

Are you using an app on the iPhone or just the site through a browser? I have an android and it's straight forward on that app.
Gotcha.. I think I'm holding off on fenders for now. I'm just going through google to get to this forum. I was unaware of an app. I'll go search for that now.
Thanks!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would like to see a picture of ur rig. I got a similar look. 35s with 15s.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'd think they have an app for iOS, but not sure. I tried on my phone and through chrome on the site....it's a lot more of a pain. I can see where to do it, but when you have to click and drag the pic to the proper place the phone functionality gets messed up. On the website, down below the section you type your reply, you should see a spot to manage the attachments.

Oh, and if your avatar is the current look, I think the factory fenders look good with the full width bumper. If you chose a stubby bumper, it would look a bit odd.

Last edited by resharp001; 11-02-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

I'd think they have an app for iOS, but not sure. I tried on my phone and through chrome on the site....it's a lot more of a pain. I can see where to do it, but when you have to click and drag the pic to the proper place the phone functionality gets messed up. On the website, down below the section you type your reply, you should see a spot to manage the attachments. Oh, and if your avatar is the current look, I think the factory fenders look good with the full width bumper. If you chose a stubby bumper, it would look a bit odd.
Yes this is the current look. The bumper isn't quite as long as the factory bumper was.

Quick Reply: Help any idea's?