Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help.......

Old 05-21-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.......

anyone had a tailgate squeak??? seems like the weight of the 35" on the tailgate may be causing it to squeak. i have about 3000 miles with the 35" on there, and it just started. anyone have a solution???
Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had more of a rattle than a squeak. A few rounds of electrical tape on the striker and the mating part on the tailgate worked.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Junkie

Its been discussed that some folks with 35s on there tailgate end up bending them from the extra weight. Some will chime in here with there fixes but I would suggest taking it off for now so you don't end up really dorking it up. And I am not suggesting running without a spare either.... if you take it off, keep in in the back of your rig.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

tried the electrical tape on the striker. that fixed my driver's door clunk. it didn't help with the tailgate. i know the 35 is heavy for the liftgate, but damn it looks goofy without a spare. ran like that for about a week and hated it. guess i may have to go ahead and spring for a new bumper/ tire carrier.....hate to drop the $1500-2000 though.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

I had some squeeking going on back there and fixed it with some Daystar Tailgate Bump Stops from Quadratec. These might not help in your situation though...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16053_520.htm

Old 05-21-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed mine start to rattle severely and I've had it on for about 8,000 miles. It's probably been doing it for a while, but I only just heard it when I took my doors and roof off for the summer. It's fine on the road but really bad over bumpy dirt or trails.

Looks like the AEV rear bumper just jumped to the top of the list...
Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cpray
tried the electrical tape on the striker. that fixed my driver's door clunk. it didn't help with the tailgate. i know the 35 is heavy for the liftgate, but damn it looks goofy without a spare. ran like that for about a week and hated it. guess i may have to go ahead and spring for a new bumper/ tire carrier.....hate to drop the $1500-2000 though.
I was behind you one day and watched your spare bouncing as you went over the RR tracks. Temp solution would be to get a trailor hitch and flip it upside down with the ball on top, shim it up till your tire lightly rests on it. Tailgate is harder to open, but it'll save it for now.

Quick Reply: Help.......