Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!!!!

Alright here's a question even though i think i know the answer. Should i go with a 4x4 X model or a 4x2 sahara I most likely will never go off road unfortunatley but i plan on moving back to the hudsin valley in NY currently i live in florida so 4x4 isn't necessary I have read that 4x4's can be outdone by 4x2's with snow tires PLEASE I need some advice I can't wait any longer for my order.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry, but there's no way a 2WD with snow tires is going to outperform a 4WD with a decent set of tires in the snow especially with the new ESP that comes on the new JK's. Also, the resale value of the 2WD's will definitely be in the toilet.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

so i take it you would reccommend the x then the only thing that sucks on it is that it has the standard 16" wheels
Old 12-14-2006, 06:03 AM
HEK
JK Freak

I don't know how far UPSTATE in NY you are but if you happen to be near Buffalo I would recommend a 4X4, I can drive a front wheel drive thru any amount of snow because I've lived here all my life but if you are like my wife a Floridian that moved to MA after we married, she stays home and waits for the storm to stop, therefore I decided that her '05 Ody had to go and bought her a 4X4 , Rubi unlimited 6spd.....and hope she can tackle the snow this year...
Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PROD
so i take it you would reccommend the x then the only thing that sucks on it is that it has the standard 16" wheels
Sorry about that, yes, I would recommend the X and upgrade the tires and wheels to whatever you want.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HEK
I don't know how far UPSTATE in NY you are but if you happen to be near Buffalo I would recommend a 4X4, I can drive a front wheel drive thru any amount of snow because I've lived here all my life but if you are like my wife a Floridian that moved to MA after we married, she stays home and waits for the storm to stop, therefore I decided that her '05 Ody had to go and bought her a 4X4 , Rubi unlimited 6spd.....and hope she can tackle the snow this year...
Hey now! Buffalo is not upstate, and the Hudson is way over on the other side of the state. We affectionately *cough* call it Western NY, not upstate.
Upstate is over that way--->
Where that carpet bagging jr. senator wannabe president *BEEEEEEEP* lives.

I have lived here in Western NY all my life (not counting Military duty time) and i concur that a 4wd is the way to go. You can "get by" with less, as I did for years, but why? The better option is there, and 4wd's have come so far in the last 20yrs that i dont see why anyone in this environment doesnt own at least one.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PROD
Funny how times change. 15's have been on jeeps so long, that I was happy to see 16" stock rim included. I guess I'm getting old.

And I imagine that someone was saying that snow tires are better than 4wd. Maybe so. But by that logic a 4wd with snowtires is unstoppable.

Last edited by Ge99ne; 12-14-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
Funny how times change. 15's have been on jeeps so long, that I was happy to see 16" stock rim included. I guess I'm getting old.

And I imagine that someone was saying that snow tires are better than 4wd. Maybe so. But by that logic a 4wd with snowtires is unstoppable.
*Nods*

a friend of mine has an '05 with snows on all fours, that thing is unbelieveble in the snow. Not quite unstoppable (by log skidder/bulldozer standards) but it will go through anything we have found to test it on.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Sorry, but there's no way a 2WD with snow tires is going to outperform a 4WD with a decent set of tires in the snow especially with the new ESP that comes on the new JK's. Also, the resale value of the 2WD's will definitely be in the toilet.
Well said.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Default Get the 4wd

No question go with the 4wd. I'd also encourage you to seriously think about waiting or searching for a 4wd unlimited. - I say that not knowing your needs. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Help!!!!!!!