Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Heated Seat question

Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Seat question

Does anyone know if it is possible to install factory heated seats on a 2012 JK with the same controls that the Sahara's come with? As we know the 2011-12 factory heated seat controls are on the switch panel just below the heater/AC controls,and that is where I would like mine to be. The aftermarket ones want you to mount the switches on the side of the seat (no place to do this.) or want you to drill and mount on center console ( I dont want to do this.) Does anyone know if it is possibile to purchase that "switch panel" (or whatever its called) with the heated seat buttons on it and then install a kit like the factory?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
Personally, I'd prefer aftermarket switches... so when I use the command start in the winter, I have leave the switch on, and the seat warms up with the jeep...
A very good point.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I researched this a little a while back. Got my Rubi of the lot with everything I wanted except the heated seats. I don't think you can use the factory switches because of the can bus system. I think the problem is that even if all the parts are there, the computer that controls the electronics doesn't allow them to work. Something along those lines anyway. If you find away keep us posted because I'd use them too.
Good Luck!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greggnj
I researched this a little a while back. Got my Rubi of the lot with everything I wanted except the heated seats. I don't think you can use the factory switches because of the can bus system. I think the problem is that even if all the parts are there, the computer that controls the electronics doesn't allow them to work. Something along those lines anyway. If you find away keep us posted because I'd use them too.
Good Luck!
Can you not get the dealer to flash it?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
Can you not get the dealer to flash it?
Good Question. Anybody done it?

Next time I'm there I'll talk to the service manager about that.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I'd prefer aftermarket switches... so when I use the command start in the winter, I have leave the switch on, and the seat warms up with the jeep...
Personally I do not see why one would want to do that since electric heated seats work almost instantly.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why could you not leave the stock switches on?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be tackling this issue on Tuesday when they install my Katzkin leather and aftermarket heated seats

I asked to see the switch and it's a nice round two position switch with indicator lights

I asked if they could mount then in the factory location but after leaving the factory switch area is slight oval and not flat

The other option was mounting them right below the shifter in front of the cup holder
Old 12-05-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chadc880
I'll be tackling this issue on Tuesday when they install my Katzkin leather and aftermarket heated seats

I asked to see the switch and it's a nice round two position switch with indicator lights

I asked if they could mount then in the factory location but after leaving the factory switch area is slight oval and not flat

The other option was mounting them right below the shifter in front of the cup holder
Why does this have to be so difficult? If the technology is there for the factory heated seats, you should just beable to buy the necessary parts to install it? Anyway, please post pics after your install. Perhaps I will just use the Mopar kit and have holes drilled.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 12 JKUR MW3 that came loaded minus the heated seats. I am going to work on a factory install but can't find much info about parts and wiring to figure out what I need. I looked at my seats yesterday and they both have the heating elements installed. The wires are there, so I'm going to try and make it work. I know I need a new switch panel and I beleive there is a heated seat controller under the passenger seat. At least, I read that in a post that showed some wiring information for the 12 JKU.
Can someone look under the passenger seat and see if you have a controller?
Thanks gents!

Quick Reply: Heated Seat question