Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

have a problem i think

Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea my dads totally cool about that kind of stuff. That kind of stuff does not bother him and i think sometimes him offering like that is his way of saying thank you. i don't know if that sounds weird but he is not a kind of person that says all the time im proud of you or nice job you did real good work so i think sometimes when i complain about the jeep and wishing i had more money to get it back to stock speed after lifting it he offers as a thank you in a way. we work together i handle all the computers at his office and there are about 5 servers 2 exchange servers and what not tele system i handle it all i never take money from him though. but we will see im going to see about some side work this week. may just be able to do it on my own witch is what im leaing towards. i don't like getting help from people doing anything let alone money.

but thank you all for the comments and input i appricate it.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

I think it's cool you help your dad out and are close to him. My dad and I are the same way. I say wait the three weeks and do it on your own. My dad at 71 still likes being a dad and helping his kids out but IMHO it always feels a little better when I fund my own buys. It's tempting though knowing he'd be happy to do it.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by biglynny
I think it's cool you help your dad out and are close to him. My dad and I are the same way. I say wait the three weeks and do it on your own. My dad at 71 still likes being a dad and helping his kids out but IMHO it always feels a little better when I fund my own buys. It's tempting though knowing he'd be happy to do it.
My thoughts exactly. And I love biglynny's Avatar.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It sounds like you and your dad have a great relationship. And, maybe your dad is really making an offer of a gift in the guise of a loan--only you can judge that. But, as a general rule, don't borrow money to mod your Jeep. Period. Unless the mod's are a requirement of your trade/business/job, they are just for fun. And you should never borrow money to pay for fun. It's too easy to get trapped into a lifetime of debt. Want to know how to instantly improve your income by about 18%? Pay off all of your debt and get rid of those interest charges. Not that your dad planned to charge you interest. It's just that you need to develop good borrowing habits, and that means understanding when it's beneficial to borrow--and when it's not.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britjk
My thoughts exactly. And I love biglynny's Avatar.
agreed!!! Not to side track but who is that?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Never borrow anything for non-essentials... especially from family. Your dad will be prouder if you are able to display constraint in the face of an overpowering "want". This is an admirable trait in this age of immediate satisfaction. Cripes, it's only 3 weeks anyway.

If you don't have the money - then you can't afford it.

And yes, lynny's avatar is rather nice.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

you should wait, considering you will have the money in three weeks.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

I too would wait! I would love to lend my son (future) too, but it would make me even prouder to know that my son is prioritizing needs vs wants. That would really build more trust. Just wait, you're gonna get eventually and you can still take him for a steak without a reason!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously, it's only a 3-week wait for a toy. Man up and forego the loan. You'll feel better about yourself and this will increase your dad's esteem for you. Win-win.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

well just to let you all know i decided to wait i have a side job next week and im building someone a computer so ill have some extra money even sooner so i should be good to go .

thank you for all the responses

Quick Reply: have a problem i think