Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Has your hardtop warped from your hardtop hoist?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has your hardtop warped from your hardtop hoist?

Completely ignore my signature, it has nothing to do with this thread.

I have an 07 JKU, and its about spring here in Indiana, and I am wanting to buy a top hoist/lift to install in my garage for removal and storage. As I am reading all sorts of different threads, I am learning I like the one's that DON'T have a platform/shelf that you put top on. I prefer to just buy one that is made to lift the top directly off my jeep to the ceiling. But then I read one post that said you shouldn't get one that hooks to the top because it will "warp" the top so it won't fit back on the jeep this fall when I put it back on.

Has anyone had personal experience with this problem?

Ha! I made you read my signature! That's just my dumb fun for the day.

Thanks for all input! And lastly, please offer any recommendation to what top hoist you prefer! I don't want to go the homebrew route on this one... work is way to busy right now, just need something under $300 that I can hang quick.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I only had my top on the Lang hoist for a few weeks at a time (once for a month) but no warping issues. I believe I warped my rear glass though. I used a bungee on one side and I think it warped the glass. However closing the tailgate fixes it. I have not seen any warping of the top itself. However, if you plan on having it hanging for many months at a time, you may want to consider something with more hook points. OR as others have done, add 4 or so hanging ratchet straps from the ceiling as extra support. I would be more worried about the central point on the Lang one being the sole hook for more than a month at a time.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have not hung my lange hoist yet but i know when i do the top will be up for about 6 months at a time. Me being paranoid about breaking somethkng or something failing I am going to add some extra support to spread the weight of the top to avoid any issues with possibly warping or tearing the fiberglass. I havent ween the warping but i have seen what happens if the top is allowed to wobble too much on a hook.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hoist mine off but then lay it on moving dollies and move it to the back of the garage when its off. I can see where in the summer heat in a garage (100+ degrees) can soften the top and start warping it if it is only hooked on three places. If your worried about it I would look at something with a platform. That would make it a non issue. My .02.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine spends months at a time hanging from the Harken Hoister. No problems.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Mine hung from July through October last year, and when I put it back on I had no warping issues.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Any thoughts on one of the carts for summer storage? You know like the HOSS one from bestop where the top sits vertical on it's rear-end? Anyone have warping issues or any other damages, minus it falling over...
Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies! NOBODY has ever had or heard a warp top?

I need the garage space and will be taking off alone, I think I will buy a hoist. Any more suggestions?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Harken hoist works great. I have two. One for the the JK one for the JKU. No issues yet. Had them hanging for 3 or 4 months last year.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Just ordered a Harken hoist. I can't wait for it to show up!

Quick Reply: Has your hardtop warped from your hardtop hoist?