Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Has anyone gone back to a TJ or LJ from a JK Unlimited?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy at work parks next to me in his LJ and gets out and slips in his puddle of drool everytime he looks at my JK just saying....so now I make it a point to hunt him down everytime he gets to work before me.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I can't imagine the TJ being any worse to ride in than a JK. My JK I feel every crack, pothole and pebble I run over.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. I own both a TJ and a JKU right now. Both are great and serve different needs. Off road, the TJ is a better rig. Hauling family around or running in snow with groups, I prefer the JKU.

Both are fine with mild wheeling and regular daily driving.

My jeep history has gone YJ - YJ - CJ - TJ - TJ2 (owned at same time) - JKU.

I also have the jeep bug, but am learning and improving things as I go along...
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Wow I can't imagine the TJ being any worse to ride in than a JK. My JK I feel every crack, pothole and pebble I run over.
Bwaahaahaa, it's a freakin jeep, you should try owning a couple CJ's , they rode like wood wheel wagons ! Jk is by far the best riding jeep to date. C'mon hellbound, it ain't that bad! Hell, my CJ had about 6 inches of play in the steering wheel, back and forth, back and forth, I was all over the road when I got my jk haha.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default JK all the way

I used to have the LJ and the JKU. I only have the JKU now because the LJ was just not up to the JK standards and the LJ only drove 13 miles per gallon. It wasn't even a fair comparison.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Having carefully read through this thread it sounds like you're missing a 2 dr Jeep. 4 drs aren't for everyone and it does drive and feel differently to a 2 dr, which is why I couldn't bring myself to ge the 4 dr even though it probably would have been the "smarter" choice. If I'm touching on the truth here a 2 dr JK might work well for you as you could transfer a lot of the stuff over that you've done to the 4 dr.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Bwaahaahaa, it's a freakin jeep, you should try owning a couple CJ's , they rode like wood wheel wagons ! Jk is by far the best riding jeep to date. C'mon hellbound, it ain't that bad! Hell, my CJ had about 6 inches of play in the steering wheel, back and forth, back and forth, I was all over the road when I got my jk haha.
Exactly - I had a YJ with leaf springs on all 4 corners. The JK is a cushy Cadillac compared to those older jeeps.

The JK is also much easier to lift than the YJ - I remember considering new spring packs or a full spring over axle conversion. Then you needed to go to slip yoke eliminators etc etc...

I drooled over TJs when they first came out. If I were more strapped for cash I think I would consider a used TJ. However the JK is now paid for and doing just fine thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by m0brando
Thanks a ton! This is exactly the kind of experience I am looking for! My JK is obviously the "summit" of Jeepism but I have to admit I do have that yearning for the simpler times of a more nimble and basic Jeep. The YJ/TJ/LJ's I had were very much hop in and go fun to drive vehicles. Probably silly, but the JK seems like it's more of a chore to drive as far as size, ease to see out of, things to worry about, etc. That's not only true in daily driving but definitely true on the trail ... but maybe some of that is $30K bopping through the woods vs. $10K. However I'm sure I'm looking through rose colored glasses as well! Thanks again for your comments! Now - has the 2 door JK been a happy medium or do you still miss the extra ride, room, etc of the 4 door?
There are only two things I miss about my Unlimited JK--the ability to sleep in it and the ability to carry bicycles inside the Jeep. The only reason I bought an Unlimited when he JK's first came out was towing capacity. I didn't need four doors--I removed the rear seats anyway.

The only thing I miss about the LJ is the fact that it was a great looking Jeep and it was unique.

As far as my new 2dr. Rubicon, I'm very happy with it. The 2,000lb. towing capacity is fine now, because we now have a Toyota Tacoma with a 6,500lb. towing capacity as our second vehicle (instead of a Lexus car). I've found a few advantages of going back to a 2dr vs. the 4dr.--it has more power (both of them have same gearing, same tires--so it must be because it's lighter), slightly better gas mileage (about 1mpg.), it's more fun to drive (kind of like the difference between a sports car vs. a sedan), it's easier to maneuver in tight spots, and the shorter wheelbase makes it less likely to high-center off-road. It does have less cargo space of course, but with the seat removed, it has as much space as a 4dr with the back seat installed. Also, the 2dr JK feels roomier than the LJ. The narrow width of the LJ made it feel kind of cramped up front. And I think the JK may even have almost as much cargo room as the LJ, because of the extra width.

Last edited by jckid; 03-14-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned 4 TJ's, never an LJ.. my 06 TJ was a golden eagle and had every option on it that was available for a TJ.... all of mine were 6 speed stick, except one TJ way back.. my 02 I think?

I went from the 06 TJ to a pretty loaded JK 4 door.. the ride difference in the JK 4 door is incredible compared to the TJ.. as well as the daily driver attributes such as a good sound system, quieter top, power windows and the like...

driving a 4 door is more like driving an SUV.. driving a TJ is like, well driving a Jeep...

after the second 4 door JK i realized I missed that "driving a Jeep" feel.. yet I am a man that likes gadgets and creature comforts..

so I went out and got a 2 door JK sport, and except that I have an auto now I once again have that feeling of driving a Jeep.. the short turning radius and the "i can park in any spot" feeling is back..

the 2 door JK rides nicer and is quieter than any of the TJ's i owned...

im not sure of the total interior space but to me my 2 door JK has more room with the backseat folded or removed than I had in my regular TJ.. although i think with the back seat in use your LJ has a little more cargo room than a 2 door JK behind the seat...

many people will likely disagree but I surely think it was easiest of any on my 06 TJ to put the top up and down.. perhaps me and my '10 two door with the new top system dont get along as well as my TJ's or the 4 door JK's.. but trhats just my opinion.. however the sunrider feature on the '10 with no over-the-door plastic tuck-ins is a real nicety!

-Christopher

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone back to a TJ or LJ from a JK Unlimited?