Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hardtop vs. Bestop Trektop?

Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop vs. Bestop Trektop?

I find myself constantly wanting to take the top off at times when it's most inconvienent. Luckily when my neighbors home he'll give me a hand but most the time I'm out and about. I've been thinking of selling my Hardtop and going with that slant look soft top, my question is, am I going to regret it? Hate myself? End up buying another Hardtop 6 mos down the road?...
Ironically I'm thinking about this on a day when it's pouring rain.
Has anybody done this? I know the first thought is to not get rid of the Hardtop but I honestly have no place to put the thing, it's not exactly small...

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Soft top all the way. Unless it starts snowing where you are, a hardtop would be better.

Check out the bestop trektop NX. You can turn it into a bikini top
Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

I sold my hardtop for some jeep parts, cash and a trektop. I love the look and style of the trek top, but i do miss my Hardtop here and there. So i bought a soft top as well. Now i have the trektop and there are times i need the hard top. But all in all, soft top is the way to go.

Id trade you my trek top for your hardtop anyday.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Freak

I can't see any situation where I would keep my hard top if I wasn't in an area that could get down to -20* and colder. Hard tops are great for winter, security, and better for sound. The rear is easier to get into, and if it is less than 30-40*, you really don't have access to the back. If I lived in southern California, I don't think I would run a hard top ever.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the trektop, and store my hard top most of the year. I only put the hard top on in the winter and when we travel (To keep the riff-raff out).

The top is nice, but very noisy and you need to have a good warm sunny day for it to install properly. It takes me about 30 minutes to get it all on by myself and fitted properly.

If you get one, go for the NX version, which is more configurable. That, or buy a used one from those of us who are going to sell our original trektops to get the trektop NX.

I love the look of mine, but it is a PITA if you need to get stuff in and out of the back. Rolling the top back is a cinch, and does not flap around.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the hard top, and really like it, especially for highways and the winter (sold my soft top for Jeep parts). I was able to put some Hotheads Headliners in there to help even more with temperature and noise. As for taking it off in the summer, I now have two options. First, last week when we went wheeling, I just took the rear off and ran with just the Freedom Panels in place and that worked like a charm. Secondly, I just ordered a Spiderweb shade yesterday. (which also works with the hard top too - you can leave it on with the hard top)

So, if I were you, you might check out those spiderweb shades first, as they're much cheaper than going with a full soft top, in case you change your mind down the road about which top you'd prefer.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can somebody tell me what is so different about the NX version? I am in Southern Ca and it's rarely colder than 60, however it does seem like the rain has been coming and going quite a bit, lately.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I will have both. Have a hardtop currently and need it for security and trips and weather related days. Live in Memphis, definately need security, kids and trips, hardtop is nice, winter can and does get into teens, summer gets up to 105, so dead of summer and winter, hard top will be nice, but we do have great mild springs and Fall. Softtop would be great for these seasons. Also in our summers, even if not 100 plus degrees, we get a lot of pop up thunderstorms, that having the softtop available is a must.

So my vote, is keep the hard top, buy the NX as mentioned, or a soft top that someone is getting rid of.

Quick Reply: Hardtop vs. Bestop Trektop?