Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

hardtop lift??? please help!!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hardtop lift??? please help!!

ok i bought my first hardtop jk unlimited, now i want to buy a hoist a top seeing its supposed to be a easy 1 person operation plus i have a colormatched hardtop so i want to be severely careful not to scratch or ding it up since it cost a pretty penny from jeep, lol, now my question is what lift works best and is it easy operation raising and lowering without beating up paint on hardtop and jeep itself??? i was thinking a harken lift, they run about 139 bucks but not bad if a easy task removing top and putting back on!!! please gimme any tips or info..thanx jeepers!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the harken hoister and it works great! Makes taking the top off by myself a breeze.

There are lots is do-it-yourself options out there too
Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I have a Lang and don't recommend it at all. The best I can say about the Lang "Hoist a Top", is that it works.

Other than that, it is very cheaply made for being one of the more expensive options for a one person hoist. I have to bend the hooks out on it because they seemed to have made it a bit too narrow to properly fit the width of the hard top. I had to assemble it together by drilling additional holes and using a rivet gun to make it secure, because the screws and metal that is provided by Lang are very cheap and strip out rather easily for something I have to rely on to hold up my expensive hard top. It's your pinnacle description of "cheap Chinese shit".

In summary....the Lang "Hoist a Top" works...but sucks overall. If I had time to make my own hoist, I could have done a much better job...but since I don't have that kind of time or patience...the Lang will do but overall I'm very disappointed with the quality of it, considering the price I paid for it.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard top hoist

go with harken. I tried to make my own. After many weeks and many dollars...i should have just bought the damn harken hoist.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to go with the cart instead of the lift. I couldn't rest easy knowing it would be hanging over the hood of my Jeep.

Quick Reply: hardtop lift??? please help!!