Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Hard top or Soft top or Both?
Hard Top
20.36%
Soft Top
23.95%
Both
55.69%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Hard Top or Soft Top and why?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both

So I won't beat a dead horse with weather preference. But here are a few unmentioned, or slightly mentioned:

Hardtop: I enjoy the ease of loading/unloading trunk space. The glass lift right up and you have full access. Not the case with the zip and roll to lift...grocery situation.
I think it's a little easier to take off the front pieces of a HT than fold back the soft top...quicker anyway... I leave the long screws out most of the time in better weather.

Also, with HT off, you don't have the ST rolled up on the bar in the back: think sitting back there in a drive in movie. That keeps you from just sliding out of the back.

ST: you always have it with you when the weather changes can up/down no matter where you are <<<love this.

I ran the ST almost all the time and loved it. But when I needed the HT, it was sooooo worth having. Hoist it to the garage roof inbetween.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard Top -- I bought my JKU with dual tops, and haven't even used the soft top....call me unorthodox, but I think it's more of a pain to take the hard top off, install everything for the soft top (and gain a little convenience for the flip-back), and then take it all off and put the hard top back on when you want the sturdier top, or just the t-top look. Plus that's why they make hoist-tops for the hard top btw, I'm selling my black soft top if anyone wants to make an offer.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have both (and have had two previous Jeeps with Soft Top Only)

On the previous Jeeps, #1 was used, met my pricing requirements and had a soft top and I was too poor at the time to add a hard top. #2, also used and was a soft top but I never wanted a hard top as it was not a daily driver.

My 2011 was my first "get everything that I want" Jeep. Went with the dual group for a number of reasons. 1) Security: Granted you can still easily break into the Jeep with the hard top installed but at the least it keeps the honest people with a pocket knife handy - honest. 2) Felxibility and Comfort: Hard top is quieter in the winter when the top's not coming off for a few months, and the new freedom top allows partial removal on demand when the spring and fall days warm up sufficiently. The soft top is a must for me in the summer to let the rays in and enjoy the air. It's part of the soul of a Jeep in my opinion so as far as I'm concerned you have to take the top down from time to time. 3) Soft top in summer lets you take the top with you. Sure - you can have hard top only and a hoist and quickly remove the top using the host and go topless. But when the rain comes and you want to get in the dry, no soft top means waiting out the rain or pulling the drain plugs and keepin' her on the road.

Those are my primary reasons. Both have their utility and purpose and to me both carry sufficient value to get 'em both up front.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I have only a hard top now, but I wish I had a soft top as well. Taking the top on and off in the summer is a pain, especially since I have to wait for someone else to be around to help me do it. As soon as I get a hard top it'll be on from the first warm day of the year until the first time it drops below 40. Although if taking a long road trip I'd take the hard top for that. Damn Jeep and its conveniant mods.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doubleusn
I have dual tops and will always have dual tops.

I live in an area that gets snow, and this gives me a hardtop for winter, which cleans off snow easier and holds in heat better. It also gives me freedom panels for when you have those rare warmer days.
X2 on Both!
I live in Canada, that snow sure ain't friendly!
and some days in the summertime can be very hot!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Western NY winters & zero problems with the soft top only. Originally I considered dual tops to have a hard top for winter, now I am glad I didnt waste the money on it. Windows melt off FAST from the heater and if i didnt have the soft top, i wouldnt be able to do the soft top punch/007 snow release on tailgaters.
I used to work with a guy that did this with his hard top. The snow had turned to ice and there was a tailgater behind him so he punched the roof and off the ice flew. The guy backed off too. I forget which Wrangler he had but it was definitely pre JK.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

I currently have a 2009 2 door Wrangler with a soft top and it is my daily driver.

I am about to trade it in on a 4 door with dual tops.

I have looked at the videos for working the four door soft top and am a little afraid about whether I will be able to raise and lower it by myself, I guess time will tell.

From the hard top I am looking forward to having the glass rear window that flips up out of the way and the rear wiper and window defrost. I find the side windows on the soft top are not really an issue for getting dirty or icy but the back really coats up with dirt. Sometimes in the winter I will take the windows inside and wash them in the shower.

I live 32 miles from work and like dropping the top even though the drive is on the freeway so I plan to use the soft top in the summer so I can be protected from the rain when needed and enjoy the sun when the weather is nice.

I also have the Bestop two piece soft doors for the 2 door that I use all summer long so I can take the tops off for the drive home. I can also easily remove the whole door for around town. I will need to get a set for the rear doors. I sure like the full doors in the winter though. I am sure the dual top setup will work just as well as my dual door setup works now.

Quick Reply: Hard Top or Soft Top and why?