Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Hard top or Soft top or Both?
Hard Top
20.36%
Soft Top
23.95%
Both
55.69%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Hard Top or Soft Top and why?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love running with no top and the soft top makes that super easy. I don't have the storage space for a hard top, or a garage to set up a hoist to take one off by myself. The only downfall of the soft top for me is the window bar out back, but it only takes a minute to unzip, unclip and throw the window on top when I need access.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely like the soft top look. IMO the hard top gives it the look to close to a Bronco II Blazer or some other small SUV.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I Have a hard top and i like it very much
Its safer and better looking for me
Old 01-08-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soft top and half doors, the best setup for me.

Bikini Top in the summer with no doors, even better.

Love having half doors on trail rides though, they are really easy to lean over even with a seatbelt on.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

3piece hard top gives u the best of both worlds.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use the soft top for 4x4 wheeling and summer. The hard top is a lot easier for getting into through the rear door when I'm using the Jeep for work.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:44 PM
JK Newbie

Since this is a post regarding polling and preferences for tops...I have a new sunrider top with deep tinted windows that came on my 2011 Rubicon 2 door and would be interested in trading towards a hardtop. I will pay difference for hardtop in excellent condition. The 2011 Rubicon has less than 500 miles on it. Also, have large warm shop and can swap tops out quickly and in comfort. If interested email hdtrader@msn.com for pictures or information.

Randy
North Alabama

Last edited by hdtrader; 01-08-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-09-2011, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 07 with a soft top and i hate it,looking to get a hardtop to replace it.
I have gone on several long trips and half the time you cant even listen to the radio,cause the soft top is so noisy,it,s really bad if you hit any kind of bad winds.
Also i dont take the top down much,i work outside in the sun everyday,shade is my freind on weekends.So i,ll be getting a hardtop soon.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ask yourself three questions:

1. Security is not an issue for me (where I live/drive)?

2. Do I like to use the Wrangler with the top down whenever possible?

3. If you live in a heavy (light does not matter) snow area, can you garage your jeep daily?

If yes to the above, then soft only (and half doors - you will not regret it). If it is a mix, then you have do decide based on your circumstances.

I live in one of the snowiest areas in the country (hills outside Syracuse, NY). Security is not an issue and I would go topless whenever possible, so soft top/half doors for me, including winter. The JK factory half doors are generations better than the old TJ halfs, including on the highway.

All that said, if Jeep would offer a dual top AND door (full and half) from the factory at purchase, I would consider both, depending on price, but if only one choice, always soft/halfs.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am a soft top fan. Although, I recommend a hard top if you live where the snow fall is heavy. Being down south (FL), there is no need for a hard top. As far as security, I have had a car get broken into (busted the back window). I leave my jeep unlocked with no valuables in it. Anyone that knows jeeps,knows how easy it is to get into one(locked or not). Lastly, I don't have the storage room for a hard top.

Quick Reply: Hard Top or Soft Top and why?