Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Hard top or Soft top or Both?
Hard Top
20.36%
Soft Top
23.95%
Both
55.69%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Hard Top or Soft Top and why?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like both
Hard top on my 4dr just looks right with a hard top
Soft top on my 2 dr. all "REAL JEEPS" have 2 doors and soft tops
Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok for those of you who voted for both, did yours come with both and thats why you voted that way? If it didnt and you bought one and had the other please let me know. Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have both. Like the soft in the summer and the hard in the winter. No explanation required... I hope
Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

And mine came with the soft and bought the hard afterwards... craigslist was my friend
Old 11-25-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

What can the hard top do that the soft top cannt do? Other then clean the back window. My soft top keeps me dry in the rain and warm in the winter. It takes one person to put it down and you have it with you if a storm pops up or it gets cold after dark.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both and I vote hard top especially for the 4D. The freedom tops are easy to remove. Better security, easier to use the back hatch when loading things. Also, the top doesn't wear out as easily. My 08 unlimited soft top was already falling apart after only a year and a half of use(rivets kept ripping out, white lining was ripping off, rear zipper wasn't working right).

I plan to leave the hardtop off in the summer and then use a bikini top and maybe tonneau cover for when it rain. Then it's the best of both worlds.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Both

I have dual tops and will always have dual tops.

I live in an area that gets snow, and this gives me a hardtop for winter, which cleans off snow easier and holds in heat better. It also gives me freedom panels for when you have those rare warmer days.

And dual gives me softop/topless fun from April till Oct .

In a better world if they made a mopar bikini that worked with the 2010 rails, and a windjammer for the 4 door that works like the 3 door one, I would skip the softop and do a bikini, windjammer, duster setup instead, for the summer.

Also, FWIW, can not say enough good things about the dirtydog sunscreen in the dead of August... your wife and young kids will thank you for it

It really cuts the wind and sun heat down...
Old 11-25-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both, hardtop is on for the winter and the softop will go back on early spring to late fall. I love that hardtop for when you come out of work at night and there's all that frost and or snow on the windows, its a lot easier to scrape. Plus having the rear wiper an defrost is nice on the crappier days
Old 11-25-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhaines
I have both, hardtop is on for the winter and the softop will go back on early spring to late fall. I love that hardtop for when you come out of work at night and there's all that frost and or snow on the windows, its a lot easier to scrape. Plus having the rear wiper an defrost is nice on the crappier days
I have a 4 door and initially bought it with NO soft top.... Then I started seeing other 4 doors with the soft top on and boy I bought a 1 yr used one FAST..... Love the look of the soft top way better looks more like a real jeep NOT a suv. Xhd bumper with stinger and D rings 3" teraflex suspension lift 1" front spacers flowmaster muffler cold air intake 33" & 35" atz & mtz 305 tires on 17" classic w bead lock Mickey Thompson rims and it looks kick ass.... So much better then stock 4 door... Looks so jeep now less Suv
Old 11-25-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9

I have a 4 door and initially bought it with NO soft top.... Then I started seeing other 4 doors with the soft top on and boy I bought a 1 yr used one FAST..... Love the look of the soft top way better looks more like a real jeep NOT a suv. Xhd bumper with stinger and D rings 3" teraflex suspension lift 1" front spacers flowmaster muffler cold air intake 33" & 35" atz & mtz 305 tires on 17" classic w bead lock Mickey Thompson rims and it looks kick ass.... So much better then stock 4 door... Looks so jeep now less Suv
I put the hard top back on in Oct til March here in Canada it gets cold and I don't know how the soft top would do as far as wear and tear and if the front windshield would be to frost covered inside the jeep on those cold mornings. Gun to my head one or the other if I had to choose soft top all the way. I'd miss the rear wiper on the hard top

Quick Reply: Hard Top or Soft Top and why?