Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Hard top or Soft top or Both?
Hard Top
20.36%
Soft Top
23.95%
Both
55.69%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Hard Top or Soft Top and why?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hard top in the winter for security and I can use my phone again and actually hear who I am talking to! (tone deaf)

trek top in the summer for ease of removal, topless is the reason we buy our Jeeps, right?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Western NY winters & zero problems with the soft top only. Originally I considered dual tops to have a hard top for winter, now I am glad I didnt waste the money on it. Windows melt off FAST from the heater and if i didnt have the soft top, i wouldnt be able to do the soft top punch/007 snow release on tailgaters.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would probably never take off the hard top.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Hard top from end of October through end of April. Keeps the New England snow, ice and freezing temperatures away, not to mention it's a hell of a lot quieter. Safari soft top for everything in between!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

I use both. My hard top is on for the winter. It's -30C right now and I don't have to worry about plastic windows scratching or breaking or snow stretching my top in. I also like having rear defrost and a rear wiper in the winter.
I put my soft top on for the summer months. It'll get +30C and I'm away from home at least half the summer. I like putting the top down and taking the doors off as often as I can. I LOVE +30 summers!

PS - Booooooo, winter!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kalamari
I use both. My hard top is on for the winter. It's -30C right now and I don't have to worry about plastic windows scratching or breaking or snow stretching my top in. I also like having rear defrost and a rear wiper in the winter.
I put my soft top on for the summer months. It'll get +30C and I'm away from home at least half the summer. I like putting the top down and taking the doors off as often as I can. I LOVE +30 summers!

PS - Booooooo, winter!
x2, I'm doing the same thing. Our winters would beat on the soft top pretty good so I put my hard top back on in October. I thought I would like the hard top all year but the soft top is way more convienient on the hot days.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Western NY winters & zero problems with the soft top only. Originally I considered dual tops to have a hard top for winter, now I am glad I didnt waste the money on it. Windows melt off FAST from the heater and if i didnt have the soft top, i wouldnt be able to do the soft top punch/007 snow release on tailgaters.
Now thats funny right there! Never thought of it as a way to escape...
Old 11-23-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

I like the hard top for the "look"...see my before and after pictures. btw, I have a really nice soft top now available if anyone local needs one for a fair price....not trying to hi-jack, just an offer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zimm's 2008 JK..jpg
Views:	121
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	104416Click image for larger version

Name:	Zimm's 2008 JK2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	104417

Last edited by leozimm; 11-23-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Soft top. I live in Florida and can go topless 65% of the time. The 35% I can't is primarily the two days a week my wife drives my Jeep to work - uncovered parking in a less than desirable neighborhood.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came with the soft top but my wife insisted on the hard top. We drove it a weekend with the soft top on before the dealer switched them and about 2 weeks later I bought a oft top on Ebay. The hard top went on about the first of November and will likely come off about April. It is so nice to put the top down and still have it with you in case it rains. I really don't care that much for going topless though. I like door off and windows out. I can't understand why people buy bikini tops.

Quick Reply: Hard Top or Soft Top and why?