Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hard top, soft top, or both ???

Old 05-03-2007, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rubimon
If you have to struggle to get the hard top in the house you wont change it that often and you'll defeat the purpose of the whole convertble thing. Just go with the soft top and don't sweat it, they are quiet, the heater is a furnace.

I like having the hard top if you can drive it in the garage hook some straps to it and drive out from under it. If I had to carry it through the front door down the hall and into the back bedroom, I wouldn't bother with it. You won't want to do that very often.

Then again............

The other option is you could get the dual top option, try it for a while, if you find you love it, keep it. If you are not using it, sell it on this site. Someone that wanted one and couldn't get it on the lot, will snatch it up. You probably wouldn't even take that big of a hit on it. Use it for the wintery months, throw it in the bedroom(you could make a bed canopy out of it), use the soft top for the spring, summer, and fall. Then change back when the weather changes.

I have to say, when I have my hard top on, the vehicle is as secure as an SUV at least. And it drives and feels as nice as one too. It is alot nicer when going to Costco, Sams Club, or the grocery store etc. It makes it nice to flip up the glass and not have to duck under or unzip a back window to load.

Sorry for rambling, I changed my thought and think you should get it now.
I think this is the best advice yet, if the cost of the dual top option is not a concern. Remember also, though, that you will be waiting longer for a dual top JK.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would echo the last couple posts - I would get both. It is nice having the hard top on in many cases.

I think the swap from hard top to soft top isn't complex but I did underestimate the difficultly in removing it and getting through a gate and into a shed without smashing it - I started out by myself but realized quickly it was a two person job when it has to be carried around - at least for me.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKGirl
well alrighty...I had no clue!! thanks!
Me either!!! Dang...I have REALLY got to learn to read better!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok Hardtop vs Softtop vs Both

Both = Hey you got them and now you get to choose which one to use.

Hardtop = Secure, tight, classy, makes the Jeep look like a hardtop SUV (but still a Jeep) to me? It looks pretty tough too..PLUS the Freedom top gives you the feeling of an open top with the removal of the front portion. Probably better able to heat and cool etc...

Softtop (i have this and our TJ is a Softtop too) = We live in Northern VA and its pretty congested but we have had great success with the softtops in this area, however we would NOT take them into DC for ANYTHING. Why? Because of the very reason you worry about in Baltimore...slashing etc.....BUT, the heater (like in the TJ) is amazing. The A/C (I hang my head in shame at this comment) works very well too.

My recommendation? You live in a Townhome in Baltimore, you work in Baltimore. AND you probably park outside. I recommend getting the HARDTOP. Because you lack storage, but you can still have the open air freedom with it. I think buying both tops might not be a good idea for you based on the area. HOWEVER, if your neighborhood is secure and you park in a secure parking garage then go for the Softtop.

Sorry so long...just trying to help with the different perspectives...
Old 05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Dual tops

As a family man, and because my wife said so, I ordered both tops. Being in Ontario means fairly long winters, especially these days it seems. Plus, the hardtop look is very appealing to her, I mean me.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a 95 YJ with a hard top, and couldn't wait to get it off. I bought the X with only the softop. No regrets! I'm in New York so we have some good winters, but I haven't had any problems.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepDog
Ok Hardtop vs Softtop vs Both

Both = Hey you got them and now you get to choose which one to use.

Hardtop = Secure, tight, classy, makes the Jeep look like a hardtop SUV (but still a Jeep) to me? It looks pretty tough too..PLUS the Freedom top gives you the feeling of an open top with the removal of the front portion. Probably better able to heat and cool etc...

Softtop (i have this and our TJ is a Softtop too) = We live in Northern VA and its pretty congested but we have had great success with the softtops in this area, however we would NOT take them into DC for ANYTHING. Why? Because of the very reason you worry about in Baltimore...slashing etc.....BUT, the heater (like in the TJ) is amazing. The A/C (I hang my head in shame at this comment) works very well too.

My recommendation? You live in a Townhome in Baltimore, you work in Baltimore. AND you probably park outside. I recommend getting the HARDTOP. Because you lack storage, but you can still have the open air freedom with it. I think buying both tops might not be a good idea for you based on the area. HOWEVER, if your neighborhood is secure and you park in a secure parking garage then go for the Softtop.

Sorry so long...just trying to help with the different perspectives...
Appreciate the response. This is exactly why I originally thought about just getting the hard top. I'm pretty certain that the Jeep will have a hard top, the only question is whether or not I spring for the soft top too. I won't be ready to buy until the 08's are on the lots, so I still have some time to decide.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread so far. I've only been here a short time but I've really enjoyed reading all the threads posted.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought my jeep with the hard top only, and just today put on the soft top I bought onlnie.

VERY glad I bought my Jeep with the hard top, and VERY glad I added the soft top!

If you can go dual tops with the initial purchase, that's great. If you don't want to spend that much, you can always buy the other after the fact, usually cheaper than the dual tops option costs (and you're not financing the 2nd top, then!)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lucas718
Appreciate the response. This is exactly why I originally thought about just getting the hard top. I'm pretty certain that the Jeep will have a hard top, the only question is whether or not I spring for the soft top too. I won't be ready to buy until the 08's are on the lots, so I still have some time to decide.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread so far. I've only been here a short time but I've really enjoyed reading all the threads posted.
Heres the conclusion I came to. If I'm financing a 25k to 30k jeep, whats another 1500 to add to the price for both tops. In your case the hard top seems to be your primary choice and if you get dual tops it will already have the freedom top installed . So hey get both, put the soft top up till your ready to try it. That way you will never wander. thats what I did and I'm glad since I have heard that its no big deal switching tops from one to the other.

Quick Reply: Hard top, soft top, or both ???