Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hard top, soft top, or both ???

Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKGirl
a little off topic...but so when I put my soft top in sunrider mode I am supposed to take out the back window?? If this is true I had no clue....
If you are going to drive over 40 mph (or 50?). I think that's what Owner's Manual says. I usually take the rear window off (or roll-up).
Old 05-01-2007, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just checked Owners Manual and says,

"If you are going to be driving faster than 40 mph (64 km/h) with Sunrider feature open, it is recommend that you remove the rear window of the vehicle." (P.160)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well alrighty...I had no clue!! thanks!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moun10eer
I know it's none of my business but... I wonder why did he/she buy a JK if he/she doesn't like the wind on him/her!? Wind = Jeep (I mean JK, TJ, YJ etc.), Sun = Jeep, Mud = Jeep, Dirt = Jeep... No? It's all about being outside...

JK is not a good vehicle if someone doesn't like the wind, dust and sometimes rain on your face.

By the way, if he/she close the soft top, the wind is not going to blow on his/her face...

My other ride is a motorcycle (enduro) so i am totally on board with this one
If we werent supposed to have severe thunderstorms today, the Jeep would be back at home in the driveway. Just a passing shower wouldnt have stopped me from biking it in here today, it never has yet.

"Motorcyclists and Jeepers know why dogs stick their head out the window!"
Old 05-01-2007, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
My other ride is a motorcycle (enduro) so i am totally on board with this one
If we werent supposed to have severe thunderstorms today, the Jeep would be back at home in the driveway. Just a passing shower wouldnt have stopped me from biking it in here today, it never has yet.

"Motorcyclists and Jeepers know why dogs stick their head out the window!"
Well put, Ihave had bugs in my teeth from riding and racing dirt bikes and /or driving jeeps sense I was 11. (1966) There is nothing like feeling nature blowing in your face or down your throat.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't seen this suggested yet, so I'll throw my .02 in.

I went through this same dilemma, and the dealer actually helped me look online at hardtops. Decided to get the freedom top with the jeep because it was cheaper then getting it after the fact as well as getting a 3rd party product.

That being said, have you considered getting a storage unit or something cheap to store it? If you have no storage at your place, you could always rent a little unit..they are usually pretty affordable if you only need a small one, which you would for the freedom top. Just an idea....

It's cheaper than getting a bigger place...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by deadspot
Being in the same Maryland area and getting both tops I would say it is the right choice (for me at least). I was happy I had it during Feb/Mar (purchased in Feb). I think for daily commuting and having to park in a garage at work I at least felt it was safer, a hair warmer, and a little quieter. Of course I couldn't wait to get the think off in April so I could put the top down!

Regarding storage, I have a townhouse and have one of those plastic sheds in our small backyard. I ended up (and it wasn't easy) putting the hard top there - on a couple home made saw horses so I could still use space underneath. I almost just purchased one of those hard top covers and opted to leave it outside to save space in the shed. My main concern was something knocking it over or the kids jumping on it.

But I will say one thing - I agree with a previous post - given the pain of getting it in the shed I don't look forward to getting it out and I did think twice about if it was worth dealing with it each year. But, I think when Nov / Dec hits I will be happy to get it back on. If I did it again I would get both tops.
I just ordered a JK with dual tops. I have never had a hardtop before and I am curious about how big of a deal it is to switch from top to top. I like the looks of the freedom top but I know I'll want the top down from time to time in nice weather. Is it a fairly simple process?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hulkd24
I just ordered a JK with dual tops. I have never had a hardtop before and I am curious about how big of a deal it is to switch from top to top. I like the looks of the freedom top but I know I'll want the top down from time to time in nice weather. Is it a fairly simple process?
Piece of cake, if you have a place to put it. Take out a couple of screws(6 2dr, 8 4dr), undo the freedom tops and it is off. Four screws puts the soft top on(2door), 2 minutes to put on door frames and its ready to raise.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Piece of cake, if you have a place to put it. Take out a couple of screws(6 2dr, 8 4dr), undo the freedom tops and it is off. Four screws puts the soft top on(2door), 2 minutes to put on door frames and its ready to raise.
Sweet! That sounds simple enough to me. Is the manual fairly detailed with the tops? since I here that theres no video avaliable with wranglers anymore.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hulkd24
Sweet! That sounds simple enough to me. Is the manual fairly detailed with the tops? since I here that theres no video avaliable with wranglers anymore.
It's okay, my son has a TJ and I did see his video. this is basically the same. The 4 door may be a little different but there is plenty of help here on the forum. 1st time may be a little slow but after that it get's easier everytime.

Hard top is a simple!

Quick Reply: Hard top, soft top, or both ???