Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hard top, soft top, or both ???

Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard top, soft top, or both ???

I seriously think I'm going to get a JK this year, probably late summer or fall. Up until now I was convinced that I would get a hard top-only vehicle, but due to the recent string of nice days I'm thinking it would be really sweet to come out of work, drop the top and have a nice breezy ride home. So now I'm leaning towards the dual top option.

So I need to know how much of a pain it is to remove the hard top and get the soft top installed. How heavy is the hard top? Since I don't have a garage, would I even be able to get the thing through the front door once I got it off?

My big concern with the soft top is security (and wind noise and leaks). I have to drive into downtown Baltimore every morning and just the other day I saw a TJ that had one of the back windows slashed.

What to do, what to do.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only got the sofe top....and I am in MI...I got it in October so I have had it all winter and never regretted it for a second!! Its quiet on the road and quick to drop!!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any problems in the winter with ice on the plastic windows ? What about snow piling up on the soft top roof ?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

no problems as of yet...
Old 04-30-2007, 04:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a tough one without a garage. Apt. or home, any back patio to store it. I love the hard top for security, rainy cooler season, etc. But mine is off for a long time. I use the soft top for trips or days when I am going to want to put it down later etc. Most of the time I just run a mesh safari. I would say if you have no where to store it, just get the soft top and don't look back. People get there windows slashed with their doors unlocked. If it happens, it happens, just leave them nothing to take.

My son turns on his alarm and leaves the Jeep unlocked, it's about all you can do.

People get their windows broken too!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a townhouse, no back patio or shed for storage. I'd definitely have to bring it in the house and store it either in the basement or in the back bedroom that I rarely use. It's tough. Up until the past week I was sure I'd just get a hardtop, leave the back permanently attached and just remove the freedom top panels on nice days. Now I think I'd really love to have the soft top option too. That way if something ever did happen to the soft top I could put the hard top back on until I could get the soft top repaired or replaced. Sure hope I can get that big thing through the front door.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about getting the dual tops but figured the hard top probably wouldn't get enough use to pay for itself so i just got the soft top and i'm glad i did. Wind noise is not bad at all, the heater is excelent in the winter here in PA and never had a problem with ice/plastic or snow/top.
If you only want the hard top for security there are other ways to lock stuff up. But it's 100% up to you ... i'm glad i went with the soft top only, no regrets.
If a thief sees something in your Jeep that he wants he is going to get it ... break a window or cut a window. If that "something" is on the front seat i'd guess he'll break the door window and be gone before the glass hits the ground instead of cut the plastic and climb around in there.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

I have never had a problem....I just do not leave anything of value in the Jeep...Can't have much floating around anyway if you want the top off!! And the bonus is you can nver lock yourself out...just unzip a window and Lucas....hope your door is big! : )

Last edited by JKGirl; 04-30-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Lucas718
Any problems in the winter with ice on the plastic windows ? What about snow piling up on the soft top roof ?
Mine lived outside this winter thru several NH snowstorms that included upwards of a foot of heavy, wet snow. No problems. It leaks a little during very heavy rain but it did that from day one and I think (fingers crossed) that the problem has been solved.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi

If you have to struggle to get the hard top in the house you wont change it that often and you'll defeat the purpose of the whole convertble thing. Just go with the soft top and don't sweat it, they are quiet, the heater is a furnace.

I like having the hard top if you can drive it in the garage hook some straps to it and drive out from under it. If I had to carry it through the front door down the hall and into the back bedroom, I wouldn't bother with it. You won't want to do that very often.

Then again............

The other option is you could get the dual top option, try it for a while, if you find you love it, keep it. If you are not using it, sell it on this site. Someone that wanted one and couldn't get it on the lot, will snatch it up. You probably wouldn't even take that big of a hit on it. Use it for the wintery months, throw it in the bedroom(you could make a bed canopy out of it), use the soft top for the spring, summer, and fall. Then change back when the weather changes.

I have to say, when I have my hard top on, the vehicle is as secure as an SUV at least. And it drives and feels as nice as one too. It is alot nicer when going to Costco, Sams Club, or the grocery store etc. It makes it nice to flip up the glass and not have to duck under or unzip a back window to load.

Sorry for rambling, I changed my thought and think you should get it now.

Quick Reply: Hard top, soft top, or both ???