Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hard top to soft help

Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top to soft help

Hey everyone. Just got my 2018 Unlimited JK the other day, this is my first Jeep and I'm loving it already! I am looking to switch from a hard top to a soft top. My hard top was damaged when the Jeep was being shipped to me and I have to get something on there until they can replace it for me (apparently theres a 2-3 month back order) so I don't want to spend too much.
I think that I would prefer having a complete soft top, but I'm looking for some advice/recommendations.

I would like to spend less than 1k on it.
I would like for it to be able to fold down all of the way.
I would like for it to be as quiet as possible.
Ease of installation plays a bit factor, too!

Anyone have any recommendations on a certain soft top? Thanks!

Last edited by Jared Siejk; 07-25-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Factory premium soft top is the way to go to meet all of your criteria. Buy a used one from Craigslist or a Facebook group. Since you've got the hard top you'll need door surrounds and the roll bar mounting pieces. There's no reason you couldn't be all in on a nice used once with the hardware for under $1,000. When you're looking online for these used soft tops, look at the underside. If it's gray then it's the standard material. If it's black then it's premium.

If it was damaged in shipping then I would think someone else up the line would be responsible for making this situation right.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Used on Craigslist and the premium is the way to go like Karls10jk outlined. If you bought new from a dealership, I would really be pressuring the dealership to provide a soft top solution for you due to the delivery problem and the back order situation to help remedy the situation. I would be suggesting to them to order you a soft top at a significantly reduced price.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! Thanks for the responses! I bought the Jeep used @ 16k miles. The driver of the truck gave me $1000 toward a Soft Top and I am currently working with the dealer (vroom.com) to get my hard top replaced. I was actually looking at a top called the Bestop Trektop (I believe the Glide is the only one that folds completely back). They are slightly more expensive than $1000, but not too much so that would be okay. Would you all recommend one of those over a factory? I do like the trektop look, but I don't want to sacrifice quality/functionality for appearance!

Quick Reply: Hard top to soft help