Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hard Top Option purchased.. 'soft top' standard equipment taken away

Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top Option purchased.. 'soft top' standard equipment taken away

What is the deal with this?

Why is it that the standard option of the soft top gets taken away if a hard top option is ordered? And to obtain both hard and soft top, you have to purchase the dual top group. Am i missing something here?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the way it has always been. You get one or the other unless you upcharge for the dual top group.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

No you don't get one or the other. I understand what mojoe is saying. Soft top is standard (which means included in the price of the vehicle at base price). You have to pay extra for the hard top, so why do you have to pay for the soft top a 2nd time in the dual top. Seems to me they have found another way to squeeze another drop out of thier customers.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:18 AM
JK Freak

So if you were ordering a manual, which is standard included equipment, do you expect that manual transmission to come in a crate when you order the automatic?

Perhaps I am missing something.....
Old 10-01-2011, 02:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

But how can you have 2 tranies in one vehicle???
You can however have a Jeep with a soft and hard top both.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt's JK
No you don't get one or the other. I understand what mojoe is saying. Soft top is standard (which means included in the price of the vehicle at base price). You have to pay extra for the hard top, so why do you have to pay for the soft top a 2nd time in the dual top. Seems to me they have found another way to squeeze another drop out of thier customers.
You are taking a discount on the hard top by applying the value of the soft top toward purchase of said hard top.

If you want both tops then you pay full price for both tops...ie Dual Top Group.

It works the same way with all standard / optional equipment on ANY vehicle.

Last edited by OH9JK; 10-01-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
You are taking a discount on the hard top by applying the value of the soft top toward purchase of said hard top.

If you want both tops then you pay full price for both tops...ie Dual Top Group.

well stated my clear thinking fellow jeeper
brianj
Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OH9JK

Not really full price. The hard tops by themselves retail for $2200-2400(jku) and the soft tops I would guess around $500-700. Seems to me dual tops group offers the customer approx. 50% in savings if u order them as a package. If u want both order the package. U wont regret it
Old 10-01-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks guys.

if the hard top retail at a higher price than is understandable.

but what about on the sticker? It states it has 'sunrider softtop' but without the 'dual top group' with hard top option purchase
Old 10-01-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually you are not really paying twice...

so base price say $25k includes the soft top
if you want the hardtop instead you tack on $735 (retail of soft top is $1500 + 735 (hardtop option) = $2335 (cost of hard top msrp). The 1500 msrp price is included in the base price of the jeep already so in a sense they are just adding on the difference to what it would cost to get the hard top.

if you want to have both

it is an increased price of $1625 (normally hardtop msrp 2300ish + softtop msrp 1500 = $3800 ish) so you are then paying for both tops for the at a discount of about $675 then if you were to just keep the soft top standard and walk to the parts department and buy the hardtop outright. if they were making you pay for it twice, then the dual top group would be 3800 and not 1625.

All jeep is doing is having you pay the difference and actually giving you a slight discount (mopar is expensive) if you choose to buy both of them upfront, guess you are saving them some shipping costs since it would be on the jeep already.

If you would like you could always take the soft top (which included means you are still paying 1500 for it) and then walk to the parts department and pay 2300 out of pocket for the hard top.....your choice right?

Quick Reply: Hard Top Option purchased.. 'soft top' standard equipment taken away