Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hard or soft top for trip to CO &Moab?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I've done both. Softtop advantages are already explained. This last time to GA, UT and CO, I took the hardtop. Stopping on the trail to have lunch, setting up camp, refilling water bottles from my refrigerator were all a ton easier with the hardtop flip-up window. Plus with an MBRP overhead rack, I could carry a lot more gear.
x2 on hardtop, but I also have family in Utah so I can drop the hardtop off and use the bikini or soft top. I travel from TX to Utah several times a year and soft top is too noisy for me. I can pack more in hardtop and don't have to use a hitch mount rack or worry so much about theft. Did the hitch rack a couple of times and it was a PIA to get into the back of the Jeep when stopping. Since I have a 4dr, removing the front half is cake and still get the open feeling, I can pack and lock and much less noise!

Looking to install a Gobi rack so I can have best of both options.

Have fun on your trip and post pics
Old 09-02-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I'll add my extra 2cents. I enjoy open air freedom , especially the abillity to roll up the rear window at any given time. I come from a CJ background, sooo noise to me isn't much of a factor. Nothing like going through the bottom of Colorado in the middle of the night, snow still on the ground with the back open and the heater on low. Ohhhh, I love that feeling. In fact at 75-80mph the front panels on my hardtop make damn near as much noise as the soft top. I bring my Mopar bikini with me and drop the softop and just run it. Now, if you have a place to store the top once you get to moab, if your worried about security on they way up, that could be your choice. BUT, to me, a jeep is a jeep, live the life, adore the noise, enjoy the freedom. Most likely will sell my hardtop from lack of use. In 4yrs, its only been on a few months total. I love the soft top. In fact, I mostly run my Mopar bikini about 8mos outta the year. I'll likely get the new trektop cause it converts to bikini mode quickly and I'll get a bigger hitch carrier for my gear. But thats me.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
Let me know how this trip goes, Ive been wanting to do something similar for a very long time. Right now im just gathering all my facts and properly plan this trip because i will only have 10 days to enjoy my vacation.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...g-up-road-trip.
Check this out Everyone gave me some valuable information it may be what your looking for!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it was up to me, I would go with a hardtop. Especially since it's ungodly hot in Moab this time of year and AC is one luxury that is not worth going without.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Soft....drop it in Moab for sunshade or safari top.

Quick Reply: Hard or soft top for trip to CO &Moab?