Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Handing rust around the window bolts.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handing rust around the window bolts.

How to tackle this rust around the bolts near the window? Not sure if this is a DIY since it seems small but since it’s on the body I’m unsure how to handle it.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

I personally just replace them when they start to get rusty. You can get matte black ones that match most Jeep's.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you've got rust there then pull off that entire piece (6 bolts) and check the back side of it. You may be surprised. To get rid of that rust though, lightly sand it, spray some matching paint, spray some clear. I would be tempted to just paint the rusty spots but the reality is that you'd probably need to go 1/8-1/4" all the way around to make sure the rust isn't bubbling and spreading underneath the paint.
The following users liked this post:
QuantumAgent (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If you've got rust there then pull off that entire piece (6 bolts) and check the back side of it. You may be surprised. To get rid of that rust though, lightly sand it, spray some matching paint, spray some clear. I would be tempted to just paint the rusty spots but the reality is that you'd probably need to go 1/8-1/4" all the way around to make sure the rust isn't bubbling and spreading underneath the paint.
Thanks. This is what I’ll probably do. Any idea what this body section is called? Can’t seem to find the name of it.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Almost Heaven
I personally just replace them when they start to get rusty. You can get matte black ones that match most Jeep's.
Know of any good ones? I’m having trouble finding the name of the piece.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just trying to be helpful and nut insulting, Jeep sells touch-up paint that comes with a brush on one end and a pen on the other. You may be able just to sand and then touch up a very small area. to correct the rust. https://www.quadratec.com/products/9...xoCJRIQAvD_BwE
Old 07-03-2020, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpauls
I'm just trying to be helpful and nut insulting, Jeep sells touch-up paint that comes with a brush on one end and a pen on the other. You may be able just to sand and then touch up a very small area. to correct the rust. https://www.quadratec.com/products/9...xoCJRIQAvD_BwE
No worries I appreciate the help. New to the Jeep. When it comes to mechanics I’m fine, but when it comes to paint/body work I’m a little clueless. So thank you.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people may take offense, Anyway I have used the Mopar paint pen to fix small areas on my JK and have been happy with the results. Patience is my go to philosophy. , Mopar also sells 8 oz spray paint. cans, Good luck !

Quick Reply: Handing rust around the window bolts.