Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Half or Full?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half or Full?

OK so I'm looking to get a JK Unlimited for my wife as her daily driver...and our VERY occasional trail ride JEEP (have TJ for the trails but it does say JEEP on it!!!) I have 2 young children (4 & 8months) to consider for the doors thing...

My question is:

What do you recommend for doors? Full or Half and why???

I want half due mostly for the fact that I have them on my TJ and the easy removal...

The dealer said to my wife negative things about the 1/2 doors so I'm looking for other ways to defend the half doors...

The full doors would work also but where do we put them when we go out to the trails, etc. etc. etc.

ANY suggestions / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would want the protection of the full doors for the 2 kids. If you need something else then buy some of the tube doors (after market). I also hate the plastic windows on the 1/2 doors. They tend to look like crap after a few years.

But this in my opinion.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Omega Man
I would want the protection of the full doors for the 2 kids. .

That's kind of funny. I am considering getting half doors so the kids will be safe. I wouldn't drive around doors off in an unlimited with the kids in the back. No way!! The half doors should still have the beams in them and there for the impact strength, without the breaking glass. The way I see it, is that half doors are the comprimise for family safety, can still have the open feeling (just half doors) while still having the integrity of solid doors.

Would I trust tube doors or aftermarket halfs for side impact safety? Heck no!!!!!!

I see halfs as the best family friendly option.
But that is just my opinion.....
Old 09-09-2007, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cdash
The half doors should still have the beams in them and there for the impact strength, without the breaking glass.

Would I trust tube doors or aftermarket halfs for side impact safety? Heck no!!!!!!

I see halfs as the best family friendly option.
But that is just my opinion.....
I've seen the factory half doors and the full doors... the full doors are of a thicker metal and the half doors are really thin and NO beam in them that I could tell.

When I shut the 1/2 door it sounded like my dads old S-10 tailgate closing... Really flimsy!!! Don't think that they are much better than the aftermarket ones for impact strength!!! IMHO
Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Daily driver for the wife = full doors with the power convenience group. Too much hassle for the wife to zip windows and load cargo in the back with a soft top.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

If this is a year round Jeep with the snow we get up here and in Mass I would Say go for the full doors. Its nice having a full window and door in an ice storm.

But at the same time it would be nice to be at the cape in the summer with the half doors on.

Why doesnt Jeep let you order both full and half doors when you order a new jeep?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
Daily driver for the wife = full doors with the power convenience group. Too much hassle for the wife to zip windows and load cargo in the back with a soft top.
my thoughts exactly.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

I went with the half doors. I have them in my YJ right now. I like the open feel you get when you have the soft top down and you don't have to remove them to get that feel. Much easier.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

I like the bottom half of half doors. The plastic windows are a deal breaker for me. I have a soft top & full doors and wouldn't want it any other way. The way I see it, the roll bar connecting to the windshield is a very similar obstruction to the top frame of the full door. I personally prefer the visibility offered by real glass. Plus no plastic in my lap in the drive thru.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wanted both, and the best way to get both is to buy full doors with the Jeep from the dealer, then pick up aftermarket half doors. Supposedly, aftermarket half doors will be available early next year...

Best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Half or Full?