Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Had fun, now what?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had fun, now what?

I just got back from my first mudding experience. Had a blast, what a mess. First, what is the best way to clean my softtop, finders, bumpers, and undercarrage? Is there any mechanically I need to check on? We drove back about 30 miles and everything sounded and felt fine. Obviously I want to get the mud off ASAP, but how long can I wait before it starts to stain the top, finders, paint, etc. I want to try to do it tomorrow, but you know how things go sometime.

Can't wait to go back and do it soon.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

I have left mine dirty for days. The mud washes right out especially with a good pressure washer. I am sure everyone has their own tricks and ways of doing things but one thing I ALWAYS do after a good mud run is jam the pressure washer wand in the holes of my frame and blast out all the mud and rocks.

If you don't do this over time this will sit will cause things to rust up a whole lot quicker, maybe I am just a little over protective but after all, it's your money.....if you choose to look after it then great, if not, then that's great too!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

If you use 303 protectant on your fenders and bumpers, they will be black as the day you got them. Even when leaving it muddy for months.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default WD40 under the fenders

A trick i learned on my last outing - when clean, spray some wd40 under the fenders/wheel wells. It creates a film that the mud won't stick to, and makes cleanup a breeze.

Doesn't help the outside, but keeps mud from caking up around the wheels.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
If you use 303 protectant on your fenders and bumpers, they will be black as the day you got them. Even when leaving it muddy for months.
I've never heard of 303 where can I buy some???
Old 12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

HAHA oh the mud runs. As long as its not really hot out and the sun baking the Mud on your fine, mine has been left with LOTS of mud dried on it for days and the only thing it stained was the soft top a little, a neat trick(lazy) is put a sprinkler under your jeep and keep moving it every 5 min, works really good. Open you hood and look at the mess in there give it a light spray with a garden hose( NOT A PRESSURE WASHER) Cheers
Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scbesse
HAHA oh the mud runs. As long as its not really hot out and the sun baking the Mud on your fine, mine has been left with LOTS of mud dried on it for days and the only thing it stained was the soft top a little, a neat trick(lazy) is put a sprinkler under your jeep and keep moving it every 5 min, works really good. Open you hood and look at the mess in there give it a light spray with a garden hose( NOT A PRESSURE WASHER) Cheers
i like the sprinkler trick never heard of that one
Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

Convertible top cleaner works good on the top.
good old armor all on fenders.
lots of elbow grease on everything else.

Have left Tonka covered in mud (those of you who have seen my pics know I mean COVERED) for 2 weeks before, and everything washed right off, though I still havent detailed the inside again since the last splashdown.

Make sure you pull lower lip out on stock fenders and spray up in there between outer and inner fender. Mud loves to hide in there, and will come out days later.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scbesse
X2 on the sprinkler trick....thats the way I get the sand & salt off after a beach run.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BBirish
i like the sprinkler trick never heard of that one
neighbors always get a good laugh at me "watering" my Jeep from the bottom..

Quick Reply: Had fun, now what?