Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Greedy Dealerships !!!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mine on Saturday (April 28). I got a VON#, so I guess I'm getting a 2007. Although I could live with waiting until September or October if I had to (definitely don't want to).

I have to say that I was pretty pleased with James O'Neal Chrysler in Bremen, GA. I went in actually when I flew down to do some final things on the house (we moved from Virginia and had a house built). My wife had just given me the green light for a Jeep and so I wasn't wasting any time. I had to catch a plane so I couldn't do anything that day, but he said come back when you're ready and I'll order you one for a few hundred over cost.

I came back about a month later and true to their word I got it for $300 over invoice (not including some GA fees) and a $295 doc fee which I figure is BS stuff on their form, but I'm still happy with $600 over invoice. I ended up saving $2300 over MSRP.

2007 silver Rubicon 2-door
4 speed automatic
Sunrider soft top
myGig
side air bags
Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered my Rubicon in December and paid $3000 over invoice. I also purchase several vehicles per year and have never paid over invoice. If I was to order one today, or even get one off the lot I would be paying $6000 over invoice.

Supply and Demand at it's best.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my Rescue Green JK Rubicon on Sunday April 22 from Don A Vee in Placentia, CA.

I originally wanted a 6-speed, soft top, white Rubi with no frills (i.e. no power package, no tow package, no DVD / CD / MP3 stereo or Sirius, etc...). I contacted 6 local dealerships and my credit union: they all did 6 to 8 days of searching and dealing; and the conclusion was "6-speeds" were few and far between and would come with a heavy markup IF they could find one.

Markup? Yup. Dealerships have assigned a premium to the JK Rubicons – sometimes marking them up $5,000 over sticker. When I went to Don A Vee on Friday, April 20 (my Birthday!), the salesman told me that “we don’t sell JKs for under invoice. In fact, we sell them for a couple thousand over.”

When I went in on Sunday to buy the JK I drove on Friday, I told the new salesman I wasn’t paying sticker price for the JK. Enter the sales manager: “you know, we’re not marking up the Jeep like all the other dealerships.”

Well, thanks. But, living in SoCal affords me the luxury to shop one of the 20 Jeep dealerships located with 50 miles of my home. And none of them have a markup, thank you.

He argued a bit, but conceded. I tried to get him to give a bit on the sticker, but he wouldn’t budge. And I understood and accepted that.

For your dealership to treat you the way they did was wrong. Personally, I would pull my business and go elsewhere.

Good luck my friend. I hope it works out.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shakeyhands
I ordered mine (Unl. Sahara) on Apr 4th, just went in to D status and I got my VIN, we'll see when it goes D-1 but its happening faster than I thought, and by the way, LOVE my dealer, if anyone is in the Greater Toronto Area and want to know where I went, pm me.
Not too far from you in London here. I ordered April, Friday the 13th and was told just last week that my X-Unlimited was built, but would still take 6 to 10 weeks for delivery. I can live with that. Don't expect I would have had the same luck ordering a Rubicon.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:22 PM
JK Newbie

Hi there I ordered my 4 door Rubi back in Feb and was told 10 to 12 weeks for delivery now 9 weeks on I called the dealership and was getting all BS and not the truth. Finally called DC direct only to be told the Rubicons are cut off for 2007. I called the Sales Manager and was told that the order had not even made it to the production line and was in que an there was no guarantee. well after discussion with my husband we told them where to go and I happened to drive by another dealership today who had a unlimited X fully loaded with all the extras I had wanted, it had arrived on the lot 3 hours before and the order had been cancelled well right then and there I took it. I had to compromise from the Rubicon the the unlimited X but at this point any extras for off roading I will put in after market and live with it.
These dealerships ought to be strung as they are taking advantage of people who are not dumb.
People who live in White Rock, B.C. beware of the dealership there.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default welcome to jeep country

allright i understand your frustrations. yes the rubicons are considered to be some kind of "rarity". hell on most markets you will pay 5k more just for the opportunity to own one. well here's my experience. i showed up on a saturday half an hour before they opened. was greeted promptly at the lot by a salesguy checking the interiors for keys. i asked about a rubicon and he said they probably have one. we checked the lot and no go. so we decided to actually go into the dealership to see if it was shipped off or sold. now this dealership is huge. one of the largest in the state. they supposedly sell at invoice on most of there vehicles but the rubicons go for msrp plus market adjustment (that 5k i was talking about). now i work for a large brown shipping company where most of the employees are teamsters(union). so we always get employee pricing at just about every dealership we buy from. so with a purchase control number in hand, a blank check, and a quality TJ to trade in i figured i didn't need to worry about the pain generally associated with buying on of these "rarities". boy was i wrong. well on the way into the door there it sat. an 07'with 80 miles on it. both tops, my gig, graystone, 5" skyjacker lift, 35"toyo tires. msrp 42k just reduced to 36k (it was the last day of the month.) so we began the haggle or should i say raping. first off because it was a rubicon, no deal on the employee pricing! because of the market i have to eat the 5k. because of the popularity i only get a minimal book on my trade.( hi can you say half it's market value!) and because of the extras added i have to purchase an extended warranty to boot or it's automatically voided for the aftermarket parts. so remember that 42k original pricing. after tax, title, destination, warranty, service and trade. i was right back to where it started. and with seven other dealerships in metro phoenix, only 11 rubicons between all of them. and almost all of them more costly than mine, without the lifts and tires. did i buy it?...yes.. do i regret it?...no. this truly is the nicest jeep i have ever owned. and even on the first day and to this day i get compliments every were i go. i've owned several jeeps since i was a kid. and trust me none are more refined than this one. and wheelin'this vehicle is a dream. yes i've already broken it once (the track bar bracket on the rear is weak! get down and look at yours.) well a hammer and tig welder later and it's better than new. if i tear that one off, i'm in some deep doodoo. so support your local welder and get a second bead run before you have to tie it up to the axle and drive freeway speeds for two hours home. (can you say death sway?) this vehicle really is what it's billed to be. i also work for the military one weekend a month two weeks a year and a deployment every other year. and i drive some of the worlds most outstanding offroad vehicles; humvees, deuces, cucvee, etc. and you get to a point when you get into your own wheeler that you expect it to do more. the rubicon with a lft and big tires is that vehicle with more. all others need not apply without heavy mods. dealers will always be crooks. but if you want superb wheelin'from a relatvely stock daily driver. you may as well suck it up. but make sure you are getting exactly what you want. if mine didn't have the extras i would have gladly told them to go f*** themselves. check my pics on the myjk forum and you will see what i'm talkin about. i haven't done serious rock crawlin'yet. but i have had it sideways, upways, downways and in some deep doodoo that would have destroyed some of my other jeeps. miles per gallons suck at 13mpg. but if you have to complain about gas you shouldn't drive. in the end i'm happy to have a "limited"production vehicle. and if the wife liked big jeeps i would be happy to fork over another 42k. but i'm glad she likes little fast cars!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubidonn
I called that 800 number and it looks like my Jeep is in BX (parts are there, awaiting scheduling)... so it is probably a ways off, but at least there is progress and there is an awareness from DC that a Jeep should be built some day for me.
I don't mean to upset, but if your dealer does not get an allocation, and they were very slim for this order run, then your jeep will not get built. "bx" means that on that day, there were no material restrictions. That is good, but you aren't out of the woods yet. GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: Greedy Dealerships !!!