Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Grease?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grease?

So I am using Lucas Red N Tacky on all my aftermarket suspension parts. I normally only grease every 3K but I notice the Red N Tacky leaks.

What I mean is, you can see some clear thin red fluid leaking out of the bottom of my Currie tie rod ends when it gets hot out. I assume this means I am losing grease, or the grease is breaking down?

Not sure what to do about this, do I grease more or will that harm the joints? Currie told me not to over grease, whatever that means..

I can't switch greases because I heard mixing greases in a joint that are not compatible can damage a joint.

Any ideas on this?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your ok, don't fret. Grease as much as you want, its not gonna hurt anything. As long as your using grease rated for your application, changing brands won't matter.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Your ok, don't fret. Grease as much as you want, its not gonna hurt anything. As long as your using grease rated for your application, changing brands won't matter.
I figured that. I wonder what Currie meant by over greasing then?

I guess that I will stick with Red N Tacky because I read that mixing greases can break down a joint over time.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I figured that. I wonder what Currie meant by over greasing then?

I guess that I will stick with Red N Tacky because I read that mixing greases can break down a joint over time.
That grease is weird, its like there is two parts to it. I had this sort of thin red liquid leaking from my grease gun, but the stuff remaining inside is still thick Never had any other grease do that.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ryanc
That grease is weird, its like there is two parts to it. I had this sort of thin red liquid leaking from my grease gun, but the stuff remaining inside is still thick Never had any other grease do that.
Yeah exactly. It does that in mine grease gun as well.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Separation

What you are experiencing is oil separation. All you have left is the base thickener that is supposed to hold the oil. The thickener has no lubricative properties. This tells you that despite marketing claims this grease is not what you need.
You could switch greases but you have to purge the old grease out of the joint by removing the boot seal circular retaining clip. then pump in your new grease until you you see the new grease coming out of the joint. Then you would have to cycle the steering from stop to stop several times and repeat greasing, eventually you will have flushed the old grease out and you can reinstall the seal retainer.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by KMHENRY77
What you are experiencing is oil separation. All you have left is the base thickener that is supposed to hold the oil. The thickener has no lubricative properties. This tells you that despite marketing claims this grease is not what you need.
You could switch greases but you have to purge the old grease out of the joint by removing the boot seal circular retaining clip. then pump in your new grease until you you see the new grease coming out of the joint. Then you would have to cycle the steering from stop to stop several times and repeat greasing, eventually you will have flushed the old grease out and you can reinstall the seal retainer.
Beg to differ, some oil separation is needed or it wouldn't lube what its supposed to.
Depends more on the grade of grease how much it'll separate. It's also common for grease to separate abit more when its under pressure,like in a grease gun or pump. Temps play a role in this aswell.
So , hellbound, your fine with that grease. It's not gonna separate or bleed off enough of the oil to make any difference.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi

Thanks guys. I do notice it only happens when it's hot out, not in the winter. I am wondering if this means I should grease more often though?

It would be a pain in the ass to switch grease now. I have been using this grease for two years on my control arms, ball joints and trackbars.. Unless there was some grease I could switch to that would not damage the joint if it mixed with the red an tacky?

I have not really noticed any play in these joints, I would think if the grease was not working I would have play after two years???
Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Your ok hellbound, no need to change anything your doing. Greasing more often is not going to hurt the joint.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Your ok hellbound, no need to change anything your doing. Greasing more often is not going to hurt the joint.
Thanks MK!

Quick Reply: Grease?