Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Grand Cherokee getting a Diesel - Chrysler says

Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grand Cherokee getting a Diesel - Chrysler says

This is posted on several websites:

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/02/21...ed-for-geneva/

"Confirmed for the show is a new diesel 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as a new Jeep Compass with diesel and gasoline engine options."

Could this motor eventually make it's way to the JK?

Last edited by porters; 02-22-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

I read it autoblog, would'nt that be sweel a 3.0l diesel. oh yea
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Allpar says this:

"Jeep is debuting its new line of 70th Anniversary Edition models at the Geneva Motor Show, as well as the new Jeep Compass and “the new diesel powertrain” for the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Insiders have told Allpar for some time that the Mercedes 3-liter V6 has been jettisoned in favor of a similarly sized, smoother, and quieter VM Motori diesel. Reports have this engine at 241 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque, with around 8.3 liters per 100 km (28.3 mpg) in combined driving, for much better gas mileage than the V6 (which has more horsepower but far less torque) which is rated by the EPA at 18 mpg in combined driving.

The Mercedes diesel, developed with Bosch, produced 215 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque, and required roughly 10.7 liters of fuel per 100km (about 22 mpg)."
Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the wrangler doesn't come similarly equipped i may FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Motor Authority says this:

"Rated at 241 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque, the new engine gains 10 percent more power and 8 percent more torque than the previous Grand Cherokee diesel, and it manages a combined European rating of 28.3 mpg.

Whether this engine will make it to the U.S. at any point in the future--right now it's only for "Europe and other diesel markets"--remains to be seen. Here's hoping it does, as the last Grand Cherokee CRD was a fun, efficient machine. It would fare even better in the vastly improved garb of the latest WK2-generation vehicle. With Chrysler's new Italian connection through Fiat, the choice of VM Motori for the next Grand Cherokee diesel makes sense again; VM Motori is based in Cento, Italy, not far from the homes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, and Ducati. Earlier this month, Fiat Powertrain Technologies purchased a 50 percent stake in the company. The other half is owned by General Motors."
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baconrocket
if the wrangler doesn't come similarly equipped i may FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
wtf
Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

The link says the diesel is confirmed for Geneva. I'll believe that Jeep will release a diesel in the USA when I see it. At this point, it would take a diesel to get me out of my 3.8l.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by matt33
The link says the diesel is confirmed for Geneva. I'll believe that Jeep will release a diesel in the USA when I see it. At this point, it would take a diesel to get me out of my 3.8l.
I am with you on the "I'll believe that Jeep will release a diesel in the USA when I see it" part. However, it's good to at least see steps in that general direction.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I think the diesel option is for the European markets ...

Compared with the 3.7-liter V-6 it replaces in the Grand Cherokee, the Pentastar’s changes include a switch from iron to aluminum for the block, an additional camshaft for each cylinder bank, and variable valve timing for the intake and exhaust valves. It was our first experience with the new V-6, but the altitude in Moab didn’t really allow it to shine, as full-throttle requests were often met with a lot of intake noise but not much in the way of extra momentum. Driving the Pentastar at a lower elevation will give us a clearer picture. We are pretty clear, however, on what the Hemi V-8 offers—power and torque, and lots of both—and it tugs the GC around with a rowdy rumble and a shrug of its shoulders. When left to its own devices, the five-speed automatic showed an eagerness to downshift on slight grades with either engine, perhaps as a response to the power-sapping altitude. There currently is no plan to again offer a diesel engine, but it was strongly hinted that a reborn Grand Cherokee SRT8 will appear in the next couple of years.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...herokee_page_2
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by porters
Allpar says this:

"Jeep is debuting its new line of 70th Anniversary Edition models at the Geneva Motor Show, as well as the new Jeep Compass and “the new diesel powertrain” for the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Insiders have told Allpar for some time that the Mercedes 3-liter V6 has been jettisoned in favor of a similarly sized, smoother, and quieter VM Motori diesel. Reports have this engine at 241 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque, with around 8.3 liters per 100 km (28.3 mpg) in combined driving, for much better gas mileage than the V6 (which has more horsepower but far less torque) which is rated by the EPA at 18 mpg in combined driving.

The Mercedes diesel, developed with Bosch, produced 215 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque, and required roughly 10.7 liters of fuel per 100km (about 22 mpg)."
where? i can never find anything on allpar

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokee getting a Diesel - Chrysler says