Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

GPS+ tracking and GoPro

Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alex00
For several years starting in 2005 I used the DeLorme Topo USA and Earthmate GPS reciever to map my trails in Moab. I would have the laptop mounted to the dash, and the GPS receiver plugged into the USB port. It would map my exact location every few seconds, creating a breadcrumb trail of the trail or road I was on. I was using version 5 way back when, and now they are up to version 9. For $100 you can get the software and GPS bundled. It should do exactly what you are looking for.

hxxp://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=31586&section=10091
This looks like an interesting approach, will investigate more so thank you for directing me to it. What kind of mount did you use to put a laptop elevated?? I may just be content with it on the seat beside me and plugged into keep it charged
Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alpinehyperlite
I'm pretty sure that is what trip cast was designed for.
This also looks great but unfortunately it seems their website is down and the app can't connect to register me either :( Not sure what's up with that but have tried since you mentioned it and it does look exactly like what I want!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wood8176
This doesn't solve your plotting question, but some DSLR cameras have GPS attachments you can get to do the same thing the iPhone does. I have a Nikon DSLR with the GPS marking feature. Sorry, not much help to the other part of your question. I think Garmin makes a hand held portable GPS that might work for your needs. They make running watches that plot courses on maps.
I looked up on Canon's site and it has a GPS but only for their top end model which unfortunately is not the one I have. I saw other companies make them for lower models so that's kind of annoying as it would help me out perfectly for this part of the equation.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlgoDan
Ya sorry meant Google Earth, plug your gps into the computer.Go to tools/ select GPS and your gps will be recognized and import and your route will be plotted
Will this recognize the path it's travelled though or just a planned route? I want to track rather than just import a planned route. I may use this to load a course onto the gps so it goes the way I want rather than the "optimal" path. Lots of places I want to go through on the way to Alaska that probably won't be the gps first choice haha
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but if you're an iPhone user and want to have NAV / Plotting / Topo info, take a look at Gaia GPS. Actually got turned on to this by our own WOL from a post he did on his Journey to the Corner of Nowhere. Been using it since then and love it.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Garmin Edge Series are really nice. I have the 205 and the 305. After you record your route, you can upload to connect.garmin.com
They will retain a history or all your rides... forever! and best of all it's free. I use this when ever I jump on my bikes. I record every mountain, commute and road ride I do, so I can calculate miles, elevation, calories, etc. Plus, you can use teh Garmin to find your way back if need to and has an off road feature as well - on the 305. The newer models have longer battery life and touch pad. and you can export to Google earth as well or to your GPS if you want to follow the route at a later point in time. When trasferring to google earth, google earth will keep a history so you can also see all your rides on the US map. Pretty much any phone has the GPS picture tracking.

Jeff

Last edited by AREA 13; 11-28-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use a stand-alone device that logs your GPS coords by time. When you upload your pictures to your computer, you can sync the GPS logger with the timestamp on your pictures, and the software embeds the GPS coords into the images EXIF data. Once the GPS points are embedded, you can then plot them on a map. I use Picasa for web albums. Here is an example - https://picasaweb.google.com/NuRVers...eat=directlink

I use the Amod AGL3080 GPS Data Logger, found on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

If I remember correctly, the most difficult part is to keep the times between the logger and the camera coordinated. The logger software allows you to do time adjustments (plus or minus time) to get the plots correct.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nomadr
I use a stand-alone device that logs your GPS coords by time. When you upload your pictures to your computer, you can sync the GPS logger with the timestamp on your pictures, and the software embeds the GPS coords into the images EXIF data. Once the GPS points are embedded, you can then plot them on a map. I use Picasa for web albums. Here is an example - https://picasaweb.google.com/NuRVers...eat=directlink

I use the Amod AGL3080 GPS Data Logger, found on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

If I remember correctly, the most difficult part is to keep the times between the logger and the camera coordinated. The logger software allows you to do time adjustments (plus or minus time) to get the plots correct.
Hmm this is an interesting one as well. Seems there are a lot more options than I realized, I honestly hadn't thought that there would be simple loggers/trackers that just record data and assumed I'd need a more expensive model with the screens and such. I don't see much data on this model's limits in terms of how many points it tracks or at what frequency. I'm also now thinking something portable is nice too, for when I go out of the jeep while stopped in towns or campsites.

Nice pics at moab there, I wish I could afford to head there for the Easter run but if I want to do this trip to Alaska I have to save pennies haha

Quick Reply: GPS+ tracking and GoPro