Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

GPS+ tracking and GoPro

Old 11-26-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS+ tracking and GoPro

I had no idea where to post this so figured I'd go general.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with or recommendations on a gps device that will track and log my location as I drive and allow me to put it on a map later on. I'd really like something that I could post and share either via google or bing or whatever map site to show others where I went on my trip. I'm not entirely concerned that it be a vehicle based model as it would be nice to take with me on any hikes or boating or other adventures. Was hoping to also track/record things like elevation and who knows what other interesting details can be captured.

Basically I plan to drive from Texas to Alaska next summer and want to save the travelog somehow and then try to match up photos/video with the exact locations. I'm thinking of getting one of those GoPro cameras as well that I've heard about but don't have any experience with them either. Lots of models and options, no idea what I'd need to dash mount or bumper mount a camera like that.

Thanks for any tips or advice, hopefully someone else has experience I can learn from.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a gopro and I love it. I have the 960 model. Takes excellent video. The hero is the top of the line model, they also make a roll bar mount. I usually mount mine on my windshield using the sticky back mounts.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:21 AM
JK Newbie

Interested in this also. We explore a lot of old logging roads and I want to know how to take my GPS tracks and way points and overlay them/print them out on a TOPO map.

My son and I started geocaching as well and I would love to learn what you guys are doing.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have done the load your GPS tracks to google maps and it plots them. I have done it in satellite view but not terrain view. As for printing out your tracks out I have not done that....good luck
Old 11-27-2011, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

I love the iPhone feature on the camera, as it marks the photographs taken to a map. I there is also an app called tripcast (an actual Jeep app) that I believe logs routes on and off the road.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlgoDan
I have done the load your GPS tracks to google maps and it plots them. I have done it in satellite view but not terrain view.
What did you record your gps logs in and how did you transfer it to google maps?

Originally Posted by alpinehyperlite
I love the iPhone feature on the camera, as it marks the photographs taken to a map. I there is also an app called tripcast (an actual Jeep app) that I believe logs routes on and off the road.
I thought about the iPhone feature of tagging but I'm planning to use a DSLR to get the pics so it doesn't help entirely. I know I could take a picture with the phone first and then match them up later, may have to do that for pictures but I also want to have my trip plotted out on Google Maps (or some mapping program shareable on the internet) so I can review and show everyone how stupid far I drove
Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Infinutty
I had no idea where to post this so figured I'd go general.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with or recommendations on a gps device that will track and log my location as I drive and allow me to put it on a map later on. I'd really like something that I could post and share either via google or bing or whatever map site to show others where I went on my trip. I'm not entirely concerned that it be a vehicle based model as it would be nice to take with me on any hikes or boating or other adventures. Was hoping to also track/record things like elevation and who knows what other interesting details can be captured.

Basically I plan to drive from Texas to Alaska next summer and want to save the travelog somehow and then try to match up photos/video with the exact locations. I'm thinking of getting one of those GoPro cameras as well that I've heard about but don't have any experience with them either. Lots of models and options, no idea what I'd need to dash mount or bumper mount a camera like that.

Thanks for any tips or advice, hopefully someone else has experience I can learn from.
For several years starting in 2005 I used the DeLorme Topo USA and Earthmate GPS reciever to map my trails in Moab. I would have the laptop mounted to the dash, and the GPS receiver plugged into the USB port. It would map my exact location every few seconds, creating a breadcrumb trail of the trail or road I was on. I was using version 5 way back when, and now they are up to version 9. For $100 you can get the software and GPS bundled. It should do exactly what you are looking for.

hxxp://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=31586&section=10091
Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

I also want to have my trip plotted out on Google Maps (or some mapping program shareable on the internet) so I can review and show everyone how stupid far I drove
I'm pretty sure that is what trip cast was designed for.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

I'm planning to use a DSLR to get the pics so it doesn't help entirely, but I also want to have my trip plotted out on Google Maps (or some mapping program shareable on the internet) so I can review and show everyone how stupid far I drove
This doesn't solve your plotting question, but some DSLR cameras have GPS attachments you can get to do the same thing the iPhone does. I have a Nikon DSLR with the GPS marking feature. Sorry, not much help to the other part of your question. I think Garmin makes a hand held portable GPS that might work for your needs. They make running watches that plot courses on maps.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

What did you record your gps logs in and how did you transfer it to google maps?

I thought about the iPhone feature of tagging but I'm planning to use a DSLR to get the pics so it doesn't help entirely. I know I could take a picture with the phone first and then match them up later, may have to do that for pictures but I also want to have my trip plotted out on Google Maps (or some mapping program shareable on the internet) so I can review and show everyone how stupid far I drove
Ya sorry meant Google Earth, plug your gps into the computer.Go to tools/ select GPS and your gps will be recognized and import and your route will be plotted

Quick Reply: GPS+ tracking and GoPro