Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Got Pulled Over Today

Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I recall this thread was started by a person who lives in Pa, and got stopped by a police officer for driving his Jeep without doors. Although it is a Pa law that if doors came on the vehicle from the manufacturer, then not only is it a violation of the Pa inspection requirements, but also a vehicle violation and the violator can be cited when driving on a public road. The poster was not issued a citation, but could have been and should have been.
Then for some reason it became an oppening to take shots at police officers who are not only doing thier job, but thier duty as a law enforcement officers also.
And then it became even worse when some posters, make comments like, from my age of 18 to 27I got 8 tickets in Ohio (seven speeding and one from not using my turn signal when changing lanes on the turnpike with no other cars in sight)

Im' kinda glad you don't live in Pa.

And then we have the sea lawyers who post things like why not show him the owners manual where it shows how to remove the doors, and just show him the sticker where it says that the doors are not for safety or some other stupid thing to that effect.
The vehicle code in Pa. clearly states that if the vehicle was manufactured with doors, and it came from the factory with doors, then doors are required to be on the vehicle when that vehicle is being driven on a public road.
Yes it's a Jeep, and the doors can be easily removed. Removing your doors is not in violation of the code, however driving on a public road without doors is. So if you choose to remove the doors and drive without them on a public road, then you can be cited by an officer of the law. Although it was your choice to do this, it was not his choice to ticket you but rather his duty, so don't sing the blues when you get cited.

As for this post, Let me answer it as best I can.

Hmm...I haven't even looked at this thread for several weeks and I walk back into THIS type of comment...
I probably shouldn't even comment right now, but here it goes:

1. Have you ever had to go into the bedroom of a guy who is pointing a shotgun at the door, waiting for you to come get him? The very shotgun that he just shot his own mother with?

2. Do the worst citizens of your community hate you just because you came to work today?

4. Have you ever heard the dying breaths of 4 kids who just smacked a tree at 90+ mph?

5. Have you ever performed CPR on someone you've never met before in an attempt to save their life, not knowing what diseases they might have had?

6. Have you ever sat out in the freezing cold for hours on end trying to talk a disturbed person into putting down the gun they have pointed at their head?

7. Has anyone ever actually tried to kill you?

My answers are as follows.
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. Yes It happened back in 67-68 in Vietnam, and they almost succeded, however I was able to overcome my injuries. Now today I live in the great state of Pennsylvania in our great nation of these United States, and I am thankful that we have people like you who serve and protect people like us.

Although your job may be routine for the most, and sometimes you have to take verbal abuse from someone who thinks they know the law better than you, there are also those instances where you must render aid to someone. Whether it be in an accident that was caused by a drunk driver in which the aid you render is to a family who just lost thier only child, or as you stated attempting to save a teen who was speeding and hit a tree, only to hear his dying breath. Or the aid you give to a woman who had just been beaten by her husband, or the shopkeeper who was just robbed at gunpoint. Or any trafic stop you make. At any time while on the job you may have to put your life on the line, and perhaps even when off duty you may get a call to assist an officer down.
As was posted, "you chose your profession, now deal with it". And I would say to that yes deal with it. Deal with it you do, and in my oppinion you do it well, and for that reason I salute you.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
As was posted, "you chose your profession, now deal with it". And I would say to that yes deal with it. Deal with it you do, and in my oppinion you do it well, and for that reason I salute you.
BRAVO!

While I only quoted the last three sentences of Lorrel's post I whole heartedly agree with everything he said.

Very well put Lorrel.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ehm... Lorrel...

Me not busting chops on anybody. It's actually the other way around. I found the conversation amusing because, as he told me, he basically pulled me over 'cause he never saw a JK close up...

This type of conversation is pretty frequent with the carabinieri. They pull you over 'cause it's a new model or one the officer wants to buy. Nothing bad 'bout it.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade
Hmm...I haven't even looked at this thread for several weeks and I walk back into THIS type of comment...
I probably shouldn't even comment right now, but here it goes:

1. Have you ever had to go into the bedroom of a guy who is pointing a shotgun at the door, waiting for you to come get him? The very shotgun that he just shot his own mother with?

2. Do the worst citizens of your community hate you just because you came to work today?

4. Have you ever heard the dying breaths of 4 kids who just smacked a tree at 90+ mph?

5. Have you ever performed CPR on someone you've never met before in an attempt to save their life, not knowing what diseases they might have had?

6. Have you ever sat out in the freezing cold for hours on end trying to talk a disturbed person into putting down the gun they have pointed at their head?

7. Has anyone ever actually tried to kill you?

I could go on and on, but my guess is that your answer would be "No" to all of these questions. Some "South Area Leader" you are...
Excellent post.
Thanks.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Deal with it you do, and in my oppinion you do it well, and for that reason I salute you.
Thanks. My response certainly wasn't directed at everyone on the board, just a select few who spread their anger and hate without discernment. I know that there are others who have served the public in many capacities and have done some or all of the things I talked about, even much more. Thanks for your service as well.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

7. Yes It happened back in 67-68 in Vietnam, and they almost succeded, however I was able to overcome my injuries. Now today I live in the great state of Pennsylvania in our great nation of these United States, and I am thankful that we have people like you who serve and protect people like us.
Semper Fi Brother and thanks for your Service to our Great Country.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

I like every cop i've ever met so far, the ones that pulled me over were just doing their job ... I was in the wrong every time. The ones I know personally, local boys and troopers are very cool, they have some good stories. I asked my local (small town) cops about my doors and mirrors and they all said that they don't care about that, I always put a side mirror on just incase I leave town or a state trooper comes driving thru. I went to high school with the mayor and I think I know everybody in office, small towns are great if your not an idiot ... they try not to ticket people that live in town but if your not from around here you better be good or I'll be hearing another funny story.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RWA612
Wow, some cops are real assholes.
You think that was an asshole??? hahaha, He let him go with out a ticket, sounds like a nice guy to me.

Now if you want to read about an asshole cop, read this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/east-coast-51/need-help-really-bad-47325/
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I'm not a cop, I've worked with several over the years( 8 yrs in the Marines myself) To truly understand what the men in blue go through, you would have to walk in their shoes for just a little while. I have the upmost respect for the people who decide on law enforcement careers, it's one I don't want. Granted there are those in this field that will take advantage of the power, but there are those in every field of every imaginable career in the world. It truly takes something special in a person to even be a cop. I know this to be true. To those in Blue, I Salute You, your a rare breed and the general public does not relate to that. There are others that can relate, and also know how special you are.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another "good cop" story. I was pulled over in Minneapolis. Actually for my tires sticking out to far from the stock flares. He stated that your tires must not stick out over 4 inches. I explained that I was aware of this and my next purchase were flares that added another couple inches that would make me legal. I told him that they cost a bit over $400 and my "jeep fund" was almost ready. He explained my ticket is gonna be $280. He went back to his cruiser so I utilized my alone time by cursing prices for aftermarket products. He came back, gave me a warning, and sent me home to buy new flares. He really had no interest in my car (DIE KITTEN!!!) but was just an average joe that can relate to another average joe.

Last edited by Mulewhisperer; 07-14-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Got Pulled Over Today